Thread: 1st Post

1946lad

Default 1st Post

Hello Everyone !
    The info I will post is also on the Liverpool & SW Lancs Site but I am casting the net in ever widening circles hoping that someone, somewhere can help.

My gr grandmother Sarah Ellen Williams was born in Liverpool England in 1870.
    In June 1887 she marries James Thomas Cahill in St Anthony's Chapel, Scotland Road Liverpool. On 12 Nov 1888 a daughter, Ellen Cahill is born. All verifiable!

Now family lore takes over. In 1895 mother Sarah Ellen sends daughter Ellen to local shop for a jug of milk. When Ellen returns home, Sarah Ellen has disappeared, never to be heard of again. This is what I need to find out. What happened to Sarah Ellen Cahill ?

Back to fact. 7 years later James Cahill remarries a Margaret Fitzgerald presumably because Sarah Ellen can legally be declared dead after being missing 7 years.
    Neither James, Sarah Ellen nor Ellen can be found in the 1891 Census but James and daughter (now recorded as Helen) appear in the 1901 Census.

I have tried all the obvious links, FREE BMD, IGI. Lancs Family History etc. I have even purchased marriage certificates in both Cahill & Williams name hoping to get lucky but to no avail.

She may have died, remarried or just simply chose to disappear. Can anyone
    come up with the solution ?

Thanks for reading this

Alan
    Last edited by 1946lad; 28-01-2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: grammatical error

SBSFamilyhistory

Thumbs down

there is a marriage record for a Sarah Ellen Cahill is West Derby near Liverpoool?

Name: Sarah Ellen Cahill
    Year of Registration: 1910
    Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
    District: West Derby
    County: Lancashire
    Volume: 8b
    Page: 730 (click to see others on page)

Unfortunately when I clicked to others on this page nothing showed so I do not know who she married.

Sue

ahh it looks as though you have seen this reference yourself and therefore this can be discounted

sorry

Sue
    Last edited by SBSFamilyhistory; 29-01-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add information

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by 1946lad View Post
    My gr grandmother Sarah Ellen Williams.....marries James Thomas Cahill....a daughter, Ellen Cahill is born.......Now family lore takes over. In 1895 mother Sarah Ellen sends daughter Ellen to local shop for a jug of milk. When Ellen returns home, Sarah Ellen has disappeared, never to be heard of again. This is what I need to find out. What happened to Sarah Ellen Cahill ?
    Okedoke, first first question I'd ask is what was James Thomas' marital status when he remarried in 1902-ish? - Widowed/Divorced/Single?

1946lad

Hi !

Glad of your help !
    James Cahill married Margaret Fitzgerald in Sy Nicholas' Liverpool on 14 Sep 1902. He was classified as Widower.
    Margaret Fitzgerald had been born Margaret Ashton. She had married Thomas Fitzgerald in 1897 and was classed as a widow when she married James Cahill.
    On the 1901 Census she is down as Margaret Cahill a year in advance of the marriage.

It ain't easy !!

Thanks !
    Alan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by 1946lad View Post
    James Cahill married Margaret Fitzgerald in Sy Nicholas' Liverpool on 14 Sep 1902.
    Records you need to consider:

1. Any trace of a death certificate for James' first wife

2. Are Coroner's records available and is there a reference to an inquest for James' first wife?

3. Any reports of mising persons in the local newspaper?

4. Do any police records survive in archives or held in a police museum? They are unlikely to survive, but if you fancy a long shot, try looking for an 'Occurrence Book' (OB). OBs were a general store of information for all incidents that occurred in a shift, this would include missing persons.

Wirral

James's 1st marriage was in a Roman Catholic church, his 2nd in a Church of England one, so presumably Sarah Ellen WILLIAMS was RC. If that was the case, then maybe James & Margaret had to wait until Sarah Ellen died before they could be married. But then, why marry in a CofE church? Could it be that after 7 years Sarah Ellen could be legally declared dead (so they could marry in a CofE church), but that declaration might not be accepted by the RC church? Or maybe James & Margaret got married in a CofE church as Margaret was CofE (her 1st marriage was CofE) & James just went where he was told!
    What was the name & occupation of Sarah Ellen's father? Have you found her on any censuses? Do you know any relations of either Sarah Ellen or James who the family might be with in the 1891 census?

1946lad

Sorry !
    I hope I'm not wasting people's time !!
    I've been down this track before.
    Sarah Ellen's father was William Williams, a Boatman.
    This is what I think happened !! ??

Ellen Williams, Sarah's mother ?? died June qtr 1881. Sarah Ellen & her brother Benjamin appear as niece & nephew on 1881 census to Sarah Currie of 38 Ascot St Liverpool.

Benjamin appears in following censuses in a variety of spellings.

It Ain't easy !! I appreciate any help !! Believe Me !!

Thanks

Alan