O Sansom

Default Fretwells in Derbyshire

My ancestor John Fretwell married Mary Odell in Barford, Warwickshire, April 1773. I haven't been able to find him in Warwickshire PRs prior to the marriage but the name frequently appears in Derbyshire. Does anyone researching Fretwells in Derbyshire know of a John Fretwell who left the County prior to 1773? The line comes from Yorkshire and I'm trying to figure out which branch of the family we came from. Thanks for any advice.

Olive (Vancouver, B.C.)
    Last edited by O Sansom; 08-12-2004 at 3:46 AM.

Hedley Dykes

I have a John FRETWELL in Derbyshire but know nothing about him except that he was bap in Ault Hucknall on 4 Jul 1757. His parents were John FRETWELL (bap Stainsby DBY 28 Feb 1730) and Margaret SHOOTER. I don't have a marriage for John the son or his date of death.

He had brothers William 1755, Thomas 1759, George 1766, James 1768 and Septimus 1773. As far as I know they all stayed in DBY.

Don't think that this will help in your search but sending it "just in case". If you are interested I can send more details on the family.

Hedley Dykes
    Waterloo, Ontario

O Sansom

Smile Fretwells in Derbyshire

Thank you, Hedley for this. The dates don't seem quite right but a writer/historian who contacted me yesterday suggested that the Fretwells in that area of Warwickshire were Quakers, largely originating from Stainsby in Derbyshire so your information is particularly interesting. Certainly the names John, Thomas, William and James carried on through the generations.

I would be appreciative of anything else you can tell me about this family. I'm not sure if or how you can do this except through the Forum; I understood how the previous email system worked but I'm new at Forums.

Thanks again for your interest.

Olive in 'Beautiful British Columbia'

Hedley Dykes

Hello Olive, I'll try and include a descendant chart for John FRETWELL and Margaret SHOOTER.
    Date of Date of Date of
    Birth(Bap) Marriage Death(Bur)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 John FRETWELL (Stainsby DBY) (28 Feb 1730) 1802
    s1 Margaret SHOOTER (Ault Hucknall DBY) (24 Jun 1735) 13 Nov 1754 (03 Apr 1800)
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 William FRETWELL 1755
    2 John FRETWELL (Ault Hucknall DBY) (04 Jul 1757)
    2 Thomas FRETWELL (Ault Hucknall DBY) (16 Apr 1759)
    s2 Barbara ASHMORE (Tibshelf DBY) 12 Dec 1782
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------8Stainsby DBY) (28 Feb 1730) 1802
    s1 Margaret SHOOTER (Ault Hucknall DBY) (24 Jun 1735) 13 Nov 1754 (03 Apr 1800)
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 William FRETWELL 1755
    2 John FRETWELL (Ault Hucknall DBY) (04 Jul 1757)
    2 Thomas FRETWELL (Ault Hucknall DBY) (16 Apr 1759)
    s2 Barbara ASHMORE (Tibshelf DBY) 12 Dec 1782
    2 George FRETWELL 1766
    2 James FRETWELL (Ault Hucknall DBY) (14 Feb 1768)
    s2 Mary FRANCE c1773
    3 James FRETWELL (Chesterfield DBY) (24 Apr 1796) <1874
    3 Frances Mary FRETWELL (Chesterfield) 01 Jan 1800
    3 William FRETWELL (Chesterfield DBY) 10 Mar 1818
    2 Septimus FRETWELL (Stainsby DBY) (15 Feb 1773) 1867
    s2 Sarah SAUNDERS (Ault Hucknall DBY) c1780 09 Aug 1799
    3 Ann FRETWELL 14 Jan 1801
    s3 James DAVIS (Ilkeston DBY) c1801
    If it doesn't come through OK I can try some other method of sending the info, perhaps as an attachment. Let me know if you have any queries on the chart.

Hedley Dykes,
    Waterloo, Ontario,

O Sansom

Thanks Hedley. Much appreciated.