Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Fire 1774

Quote Originally Posted by Diane138 View Post
    Hello Irene
    Thanks for your message, yes it was those Butlers & Tanners and have almost given up on finding Emily again after 1871, but still interested in the list of fire names and anything else of interest

Thanks
    Diane Challis
    The Fire At Colerne, 1774

The dreadful fire that happened at Colerne, in the County of Wilts on the 1st of April, 1774 reduced to ashes forty-two dwelling-houses, two malt-houses, eighteen barns, seven stables, thirty-six out-houses, three wheat-ricks and three hay-ricks, and reduced nearly sixty families (including lodgers) to the greatest necessity.

Butler Robert Carpenter 33 age of wife 31 ages of children 9, 7, 5, 3, 1 amount lost £0 17s (very lucky) This is Davids grand father

Tanner John Farmer 57 aged of wife 60 age of child 26 amount lost £215 0s

I think you can tell which way the fire was going the people who lost the most must have been nearest the fire, the ones at the end must have managed to get most things out of the buildings. It was large enough to be reported in the papers, Bath papers requested help for the poor souls of Colerne left without homes and working tools, didn't find anything in the Wiltshire papers but in the Bath, I didn't say where to look only about Colerne 1774, so if you come across anything else I would be very pleased to hear. You can find the reports on Find my past Newspapers, also The British Library they are now on line.

Our John had not been born in 1774 (father of David and my Elizabeth) I found John David's brother in London and one of Davids son living with a cousin, or was it the other way around anyway they certainly knew each other. I have also looked for Emily, I will keep trying and if I find any thing will let you know.
    Irene
    Last edited by idredge; 30-10-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gardenpest29 View Post
    Thank you for your help Irene.
    That gives me lot's more to look into, I had been searching for a marriage but had not known his wife was much younger than him so my search dates were way out.
    Again Thank you.
    If you would like to email me I have a few bits I can send you, christenings, Burials in Colerne, possible marriages. I also found a report in the papers about Thomas and Jonathan Southward, (only their inscription on their burials but its is interesting. The marriage was for a Thomas Southward Butcher, as was the paper report but in the fire he was a Maltster I wonder if that was reported wrong, this did happen a lot. idredge at bt internet dot com, start idredge and ends dotcom just remove spaces and add the at and dot signs.
    Irene

Loves to help with queries

Sorry Irene just seen your post. Would love info you have on the "Southward" family if you still have it.
    Thank you.
    K.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123