Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chrissyan

Sorry Michelle maybe there is some connection in some way to your family, good luck with your research. I was just investigating this out of curiousity, but all the evidence points to the Skipper sardines man being Mr Anderson. This is actually my surname, but I don't think I am related to him in any way, more is the shame, he must have been a character.

Mick take care of that painting, I have a feeling it might be quite valuable. & do let us know what else you find, keep us posted please

mick

Hi Michelle.
    I wouldn't dismiss the family story out of hand. In the late 1800's and early 1900's ,portraits and photos of old mariners were very poplular and there were a number of people who posed for these pictures.

Michelle Davis

Thanks for that Mick. I have traced the person i speak of to Birkdale where he was a Joiner by trade but was also a fisherman, there is mention of a William Bibby belonging to the life boats of the area so may be there is some truth in parts of it.

David Sherwood

I have just come across the comments about "Skipper Anderson". I am currently reading "My Life" the autobiography of Angus Watson. He is the person who set up the firm involved with the canning and sale of Skipper sardines and the use of the picture of William Duncan Anderson in the adverts. The book gives a lot of the detail to the sardine business.

erikamouttet

Default Skippers Sardine Tin

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    William D Anderson died in London in 1916 and according to a newspaper cut out of that time which unfortunately does not give the name of the newspaper, he was a Crimea veteran who was a favourite model for artists and much seen in adverts and posters. Family legend has it that his face was used for adverts for Skippers sardines.
    For someone who was so well known in late victorian and edwardian times, i am having great difficulty in finding out where he fits into the family.
    I would be grateful if anyone could let me know where i could start looking for Crimean war records. Also if the name Skipper Anderson rings a bell with anyone any information will be very helpful.
    Mick
    Hi Mick, I am wondering how much you have been able to find out about the gentleman whose face is on the Skippers Sardine tin as my Grandmother told us that he was her father. Her name was Florence Kathleen (Anderson I think) and she was married to Albert (?) Hall.
    Any information would be welcomed.
    Sincerely
    Erika

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12