Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    There is a marriage registration in the December qtr 1890 at Bath registration district, vol 5c, page 1049 of an Elizabeth TOOSE to either a William GRIMES or a George TAYLOR but who knows whether she is the widow of Edward Charles.
    Curious if it was William GRIMES. See my first posting above!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

everton_fc

Brilliant

Well that helps so much, and kind of goes on from the story - after a death in the family, Frederick took Frances under his wing - so I guess if the father figure died, Frederick being the eldest took on the responsibility?

Just a thought, but matches our family history conversations really well....

Thanks

AnnieB5051

Default Grimes/Toose

However, there the trail seems to come to an end as I cannot find either Elizabeth, Frederick or Frances in the 1891 census records. There is a marriage registration in the December qtr 1890 at Bath registration district, vol 5c, page 1049 of an Elizabeth TOOSE to either a William GRIMES or a George TAYLOR but who knows whether she is the widow of Edward Charles.

Elizabeth TOOSE married William GRIMES in Bath St Paul's district in 1890 ref. C8/2/089 (from BathBMD) - but there is no double entry indicating an earlier marriage on Elizabeth's part.

The closest census match in 1891 that I can find (without playing around too much with spellings) is

Conham Hill Bottom
    William GRIMES (32) b. Hanham, Gloucestershire - Lozenge maker
    Elizabeth GRIMES (42) b. Hanham, Glos.
    No children listed.

[RG12/1941 fol.84]

I can't find the birth of an Elizabeth TOOSE in Bath - the closest I can get is Harriet Eliza Toose b. 1849 in Widcombe & Lyncombe.

Nothing conclusive, just lots of threads to follow...

Anne

everton_fc

Hi - well have made brilliant progress with regards to the "Tooze" and "Toogood" family's of Bath related to my family history. If anyone out there needs more info, please message me. Thanks

kiwipom

From the Bath BMD

Frederick DIXON married Francis TOOZE at St Paul. Bath in 1900
    There is a Frederick Dixon birth registered at Twerton in 1873 whose Mothers Maiden name was KING.

I can find no record of the birth of Francis Jane TOOZE in the Bath area in this timeframe.

Just as an after thought have you considered variations of the spelling? I come across a few TWOSE

Tony

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    I know you said her name was Frances Jane but as you said she was adopted I thought the following entry in the 1891 census would be of interest

RG12; Piece: 1937; Folio 8; Page 10

20 Milk Street, Walcot, Bath

Everyone in household born in Bath

William GRIMES 23 mason's labourer
    Ann GRIMES wife 28
    William GRIMES son 8mo
    Emily Frances TOOZE dau (adopted) 2
    Mary GRIMES sister 24 pipe maker
    John GRIMES brother 17 pipe maker

On second thoughts this is probably not her as she would have been too young to get married in 1900.

YOUR Frances TOOZE married Frederick DIXON Bath Sept qtr 1900 Vol 5c page 952. If you have not already got the marriage certificate this should be your next step, as it will confirm her age at marriage and who her parents were
    I find this post very interesting. I have been searching for background information regarding my maternal grandmother, Mrs. Louisa Ellen Johnston (Landsdown) who was born in Bath, Somerset, England on the 11th of January 1877. As per her original birth certificate (which I have) the birth was in the Sub-District of Lansdown in the County of Somerset. The registered location of birth is recorded as #47 Milk Street, Bath. Louisa immigrated to Canada in 1884 at the age of 7 along with a sister and brother. She was sponsored by a Canadian orphanage as a "Home Child". I have details of her immigration that I obtained from the Canadian government (free of information access). Louisa eventually married, had three children, and died in 1969.

I have recently found a 1957 letter addressed to Louisa's Canadian address that was signed, "love from sister Annie and Family". Up to this time I was totally unaware that my grandmother had a sister by the name of "Annie". The envelope has a return address of "Mrs. F. Dixon, 24 Oak St. Lower Bristol Road, Bath, Somerset, England.

I placed an inquiry on Ancestry.ca for assistance from anyone who could identify "Annie" for me. I received a reply that read "Annie is a nick name of Frances Jane Toose step sister of Louise Ellen. In all of her childrens' baptism she is listed as Annie".

I do not have the answer, but I question: is there the possibility that upon the break up of Frances' family that she taken in by Louisa's parents, since they were neighbors on the same street? Louisa's father's name was John Thomas Lansdown (1853-1913), and her mother's name was Mary Jane Bird (1850-1884). Based on this 1957 letter I have no other explanation.

Your thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Welcome to Brit - Gen, Bruce.

It seems your Louisa's father John Thomas Lansdown married Frances Janes Tooze's mother, Elizabeth Tooze nee Toogood,

TOOES, FREDERICK HARRY, Mother's Maiden Name TOOGOOD
    GRO Reference: 1879 M Quarter in BATH Volume 05C Page 658

TOVES, FRANCES JANE, MMN TOOGOOD
    GRO Reference: 1880 S Quarter in BATH Volume 05C Page 623

Marriage: May 18th 1884, St Paul's Bath.
    John Thomas Lansdown age 34 widower, labourer, 11 Milk Street, father John Lansdown labourer
    Elizabeth Toozes, age 33, widow, 11 Milk Street, father John Toogood, Policeman

1881, 4, Harris Court, Bath St James. RG11; Piece: 2436; Folio: 106; Page: 11
    All born Bath.
    John T. Lansdowne 28, mason's labourer
    Mary J. Lansdowne 28
    John B. Lansdowne 10
    Mary J. Lansdowne 5
    Louisa E. Lansdowne 4
    Albert Lansdowne 2
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Following on from what Devonmade has found for you, there is a marriage registration in the June qtr 1871 at Bath registration district, vol 5c, page 1135 of an Edward TOOES and a corresponding entry for an Elizabeth TOOGOOD.

In the 1881 census of Walcot, Lansdown, Bath (RG11/2442, folio 37, page 25) there is the following family:

8 High Street
    Edward C TOOES Head Mar 31 Painter Somerset Bath
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 30 do do
    Edward do Son 4 Scholar do do
    Frederick do Son 2 do do
    Francis do Son 9 mo do do

It looks as though the enumerator may have put the wrong spelling and sex for the Francis shown above as all the details seem to fit with the Frances Jane registered in 1880. There are 2 death registrations for Edward Charles TOOES in the September qtr 1882 at Bath registration district, vol 5c, page 358 aged 31 and vol 5c, page 373, aged 5 so it looks as though both Edwards in the above family died.

Janet
    1891, RG12; Piece: 1934; Folio: 83; Page: 12 (all born Bath)
    The Tooze children entered as Lansdown.
    John Lansdown 40, mason
    Elizabeth Lansdown 40
    Fredk Lansdown 11
    Albert Lansdown 13
    Francis Lansdown 10
    Alma

Dundee10

I can't work out how they never knew that Frances was a girl, not Francis a boy!!

In 1901 Francis [sic] and Frederick Dixon are living with John and Elizabeth Lansdown.
    Bath, RG13; Piece: 2340; Folio: 71; Page: 8 (all born Bath)
    John Lansdown 53, mason's labourer
    Elizabeth Lansdown 52
    Albert Lansdown 22, mason's labourer
    Arthur May 14, adopted son
    William Matthias 10, adopted son
    Frederick Dixon, 20, mason's labourer
    Francis [sic] Dixon 20
    William Newman, grandson, 3.
    Alma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast