Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Patrisia

I don't have a guest book on my site, as I reckon that people who are interested will email me. Many have done this, with just nice comments sometimes.

As to a counter, I included this just to check if it is being viewed. Whether it is being visited because of the postings I put on the relevant lists etc, or whether it is being found by search engines, I can't say but it is nice to know that there is an interest.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Patrisia
    I don't have a guest book on my site, as I reckon that people who are interested will email me. Many have done this, with just nice comments sometimes.

As to a counter, I included this just to check if it is being viewed. Whether it is being visited because of the postings I put on the relevant lists etc, or whether it is being found by search engines, I can't say but it is nice to know that there is an interest.
    I totally agree Patrisia. As I have mentioned before, I too have a counter, but simply to check that the information I want people to find, is actually being found and that all my efforts aren't being wasted. It's definately not an ego trip, and if the numbers dropped (as they did a short while ago) I look for the reason. This was down to my changing the front-page and Google didn't like it, so wasn't picking my site up.

As to a guest book....like you, I rely on emails, of which I have had quite a few, for contact or just to say thank you. There are `for' and `against' for everything, and I think it is up to each person to select whatever suits them.

Glenys

Mary Young

Re counters.
    (1) You can have invisible counters, if you feel your visitors may not like them.
    (2) I use counters from an external company - just as well, as I've changed ISP four times in six years. The external counters are free, and I get super statistics. It's useful to know your visitors' browsers, screen resolution, etc.

Famous for offering help & advice

I posted near the beginning of this thread saying that you might need to use the counter provided by your ISP, but I'm interested in these external counters, Mary. However, how do you choose? Google lists dozens of them, but how would I know that they're reputable and aren't going to unleash nasties on site visitors (or me when I go to set it up)?

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 08-09-2005 at 5:53 PM. Reason: clarification

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Kennedy
    ... external counters .... how do you choose? ... how would I know that they're reputable?
    Well maybe I just got lucky. I looked at a few, picked www.statcounter.com, never had the least bother with it - nor have my visitors, as far as I know.
    I used to have one visible counter on my home page, it had a direct link to my stats. But my son told me it was "naff". so now they are all invisible.
    I can log on anytime for my stats., or wait for the weekly email.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Young
    Well maybe I just got lucky. I looked at a few, picked www.statcounter.com, never had the least bother with it - nor have my visitors, as far as I know.
    That looks pretty impressive! I have a site at Rootsweb which uses their own counter, but it only counts and doesn't do any of the fancy stuff that Statcounter does - do you by any chance know if Rootsweb are happy for it to appear on sites that they host? One of the issues raised here before was that hosts might not let you use third party counters.

Arthur

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Kennedy
    ... Statcounter - do you by any chance know if Rootsweb are happy for it to appear on sites that they host?
    Sorry, no idea about rootsweb - hmm ... why do people use rootsweb to host their websites?

busyglen

Sorry, no idea about rootsweb - hmm ... why do people use rootsweb to host their websites?
    Mary, I use Rootsweb to host my web site. AOL could not give me enough space and a friend pointed me in the direction of Rootsweb as it is free, and space is unlimited. They also have a good help list.

At the time I started my web site last year, I was completely green (still am) and hadn't any idea how to go about getting the information `out there'. For me, Rootsweb has worked, but if this forum had been around earlier, I may have tried something different based on members' experiences.

Glenys

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen
    Rootsweb is free, and space is unlimited. They also have a good help list.
    Glenys
    Way to go! Three excellent reasons for sticking with them.

why do people use rootsweb to host their websites?
    Glenys beat me to it, but it struck me as an interesting question, so I've started a new thread on hosting FH websites - here.

Arthur

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12