Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have no personal knowledge of your families beyond what I can see in the various records and sources but Doreen Berger ' The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70' Pub 2004 ( see her later volume 1871-1880 - unfortunately I do not have a copy) has data on some of the relationships including:
    Edward Mayer Albert marriage Tues 30 Oct 1866 6 Lowndes Terrace Knightsbridge eldest son of Mr M Albert Ludgate Hill to Fanny eldest daughter of Mr D Davis Gordon Square- this entry rescords the birth of a daughter 24.2 1869 at Lowndes Terrace and the death of Edward age 27 after a 'long and painful illness'. The entries also refer to Amelia Albert ( Amelia Mallan) sister of Fanny who was married to George Mallan. Entries also include James Watell or James Valek Albert 41 Ludgate Street passing a certificate in 1864.
    The death of Rebecca Albert 30.9.1867 47 Oxford Road Kilburn wife of E P Albert; marriage of Amelia Albert to George Mallan Monmouth Street Westbourne Grove 14.6.1865. There is reference to Mrs D Davis 59 Gordon Square and the birth of children from 1862-1868 with links to Joseph Simmons- her father was Elias Ellis and sister Fanny Davis.
    You may know this data already but if not you may wish to cross reference with records from Cemetery and Synagogue Scribes as well as the London Trade Directories on JewishGen. There are also going to be newspaper sources on the dentists through trade advertisements. I hope this helps.
    Phillip

I see also in the Berger 1861-70 vol reference to the death of Elias Ellis 21.2. 1866 at his residence Carlton Cottage North Melbourne Victoria in his 71 st year - father of Mrs D Davis.
    Phillip

K8albert

Default Albert Mallan Crawcour

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    I have no personal knowledge of your families beyond what I can see in the various records and sources but Doreen Berger ' The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70' Pub 2004 ( see her later volume 1871-1880 - unfortunately I do not have a copy) has data on some of the relationships including:
    Edward Mayer Albert marriage Tues 30 Oct 1866 6 Lowndes Terrace Knightsbridge eldest son of Mr M Albert Ludgate Hill to Fanny eldest daughter of Mr D Davis Gordon Square- this entry rescords the birth of a daughter 24.2 1869 at Lowndes Terrace and the death of Edward age 27 after a 'long and painful illness'. The entries also refer to Amelia Albert ( Amelia Mallan) sister of Fanny who was married to George Mallan. Entries also include James Watell or James Valek Albert 41 Ludgate Street passing a certificate in 1864.
    The death of Rebecca Albert 30.9.1867 47 Oxford Road Kilburn wife of E P Albert; marriage of Amelia Albert to George Mallan Monmouth Street Westbourne Grove 14.6.1865. There is reference to Mrs D Davis 59 Gordon Square and the birth of children from 1862-1868 with links to Joseph Simmons- her father was Elias Ellis and sister Fanny Davis.
    You may know this data already but if not you may wish to cross reference with records from Cemetery and Synagogue Scribes as well as the London Trade Directories on JewishGen. There are also going to be newspaper sources on the dentists through trade advertisements. I hope this helps.
    Phillip
    Thank you Phillip, yes I do have all that information. I was hoping to get further back in time.

Would you like to put more detail into your search such as dob or census details. I can see the Mallan trade advertisements from the 1820s including the dissolving of partnership between Valet, Edward and John in 1837- 9 Half Moon Piccadilly, 10 Ludgate Hill and 32 Great Russell St Bloomsbury plus bankruptcies of J M Mallan 1854 and Edward in 1845 together with JM Mallan trading as M James and Co 1852. There is also the fight between John Mallan dentist 52 St George's Place Knightsbridge and Somerset St Portman Square and his cousin Alfred Davis 6 Lowndes Terrace Knightsbridge and Edgware Road- Morning Post Nov 1878. I see also on Cemetery Scribes that Edward M Albert' s wife Fanny was married twice.
    How far back have you gone in your searches and what did you discover?
    Phillip

K8albert

I have been researching the Albert family for at least 15 years and have the family bible giving all the dob's and marriage dates. We also have the hebrew family bible which is how we know that Meyer Albert was born as Ephraim Lyon Myers b 1812 London. Edward Mayer Albert died very young 1870 aged 27 and his wife Fanny Davis who's parents were David Davis and Eleanor Elias, re-married to David Lowe. She had a daughter Amy who was married to Meyer Albert's brother Alfred Samuel who was my husband's grandfather. I have recently discovered the lengthy connection with the Mallan family. I knew that Louisa Amelia, Meyer's eldest child married George Prescott Mallan but did not know of the connection through Meyer's wife Rebecca Catherine Davis with her sister marrying James Mallan. Whilst going through cemetery records recently I found a grave for Myer Ephraim Myers who died in 1841 a month before the census for that year. Having applied for his death certifcate I found that it had the same address as Meyer's father, 42 Mansell Street who was named as Michael Myers on Meyer and Rebecca's marriage certificate. I have searched for Michael Myers without luck and knowing Meyer's way of anglicising everything I thought it was likely not his given name. I then found Solomon Myers, again attached to the Mallans and feel certain that he was Meyer's brother. They were all dentists. I don't have proof for these last people - yet! I had become stuck not being able to get any further back only sideways. We have lengthy trees for the Davis Family (Fanny's family) but have not been able to get further back than 1841. I am hoping to get to London next month to the Jewish Gen Library where I may get some more dates. I am very interested in the dental side of things and wonder whether Meyer changed his name for that reason. Was he trying to get away from the scandel or was he involved with it? We do not know where the family originated from. I do appreciate your interest and time.
    Kate

I do have Myers in my own paternal line namely Jacob Myers who is my 5x great grandfather but I have no knowledge of his line beyond his daughter Phoebe who is my 4x great grandmother. Unfortunately, I am unaware of her siblings ( if any). I did note that in 1841 Charles Isaacs was at 42 Mansell St and left a will ( see National Archives). Are you aware if the Mallan or your own family tree exists at the Society of Genealogists in London under the Anglo Jewish Collections. Have you also looked at the British Jewry Archive site for any information on your lines? Would it make sense to put a new posting on your lines so that it 'stands out' and is not linked to the Crawcour postings?
    Phillip

I can see on the PO London Directory 1841 Albert ( Meyer) and Co Dentists 6 Haymarket and 46 Moorgate Street as well as the Mallan:
    James M Mallan surgeon dentist 10 Ludgate Hill; Valck Mallan and Son surgeon dentists 32 Gt Russell St Bloomsbury; John Mallan surgeon dentist 9 Half Moon St Piccadilly.
    You might want to look at later and earlier London Trade Directories. It looks as if up to 1841 this is still Meyer Albert using a mix of first name and adopted name.
    Phillip

See Pigot's London Directory 1839
    Albert Meyer 76 King William St City-Dentist; Albert and Co 6 Haymarket - Dentists
    1843 Directory Albert Meyer dentist 62 Fleet St
    1856-Albert Meyer 45 Ludgate Hill -Dentist

The 1839 record indicates the mix of names and the later records show the moving around of addresses- you had the Crawcour/Mallan/ Meyer/Albert and others as surgeon dentists all seeking business in London and around UK.
    You have got some pre 1841 addresses to look up
    Phillip

The Morning Post Feb 22 1837 Messrs May and Albert surgeon dentists 26 Upper King St Bloomsbury; Mr Albert Surgeon dentist 6 Haymarket April 1838; Mr Albert surgeon dentist 62 Fleet St 1842 Nb There are a lot of adverisements for Albert surgeon dentist and cover areas of the UK including Manchester. Nb There is also Mr E P Albert surgeon dentist of Charlotte St Fitzroy Square marriage to Rebecca Levy daughter of Jonas Levy of 63 Gt Prescott St Goodmansfields 1851.
    I have seen a website giving brief on Meyer Albert including his Hebrew name in marriage Ephraim Aryeh Leib Meir with changed his name to Meyer Albert circa 1840- Freeman of the City of London by redemption 1863 b 28 April 1812.
    Phillip

K8albert

Thank you for all that information. I spent yesterday searching as many directories as I could find on-line. I was not able to find Albert before 1839. As he is supposed to be born in London, I assumed that he must be elsewhere but I didn't know how to start searching. 6 Haymarket is on his marriage certificate but the 1841 census for there is almost unreadable. Having struggled with I don't believe he is shown on it. I don't know of an E P Albert so I'm wondering if he was a brother who changed his name as well. Certainly May and Albert is new so I'll look into that. The Albert tree you have found is almost certainly from my husband's cousin who has also been researching with me. I now realise that I need to get to London to do much more searching. I shall wait to see what I get before I put a separate Albert thread here. I shall try to get to the LMA and SOG next week. Gosh I wish there had been an 1831 census!!
    Kate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast