Thread: Sarah SMITH

p.roberts7

Question Sarah SMITH

Sarah Smith (yes, I know) was born in Oldbury c1803. I suspect that her father was Isaac Smith, who in 1841 was a Boatman. Isaac also had a son, also Isaac, born c1816. In 1841 Isaac's wife was Maria, but her age precludes her from being Sarah's mother, so presumably Maria was Isaac's second wife.
    I am trying to find:-
    1. Sarah's birth details
    2. Isaac's marriage details
    I know it's a long shot, but any info will be GREATLY appreciated
    Regards, Pete

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

In 1841 Isaac's wife was Maria, but her age precludes her from being Sarah's mother
    Remember that ages are supposed to be rounded down to the nearest five for adults in the 1841 census.
    Thus the daughter could be shown as 15, but mum as 25 when she was really 29 and a half

It is possible for girls as young as 8 to fall pregnant - rare but it does happen.
    I remember dad burning the newspaper when there was such a story, I was going on 8, and my mum was pregnant at the time. I didn't really catch on to the fine points at the time!

ChristineR

MJHulme

Default Sarah SMITH's place of birth - which Oldbury

Quote Originally Posted by p.roberts7 View Post
    Sarah Smith was born in Oldbury c1803.
    Hello Pete

Just to check that you know where she was born. Was it Oldbury near Bridgnorth or Oldbury in the West Midlands which, with Halesowen, was at one time a detached part of Shropshire but transferred to Worcestershire about 1843.

Mike

p.roberts7

For Christine: I've worked out Maria's age from the 1851 Census, when she was shown as 53; Sarah was then 48!

For M J Hulme: I am talking about Oldbury, W Midlands, which was included in Shropshire at that time.

Incidentally, I suspect that the family MAY have been Roman Catholics

Regards, Pete