Default Copyright/Data Protection Laws

Hi all
    For one of my web sites, I have been offered some old school magazines from the 1960's.
    Seeing that the school closed some years ago (whilst I was there whether that has any bearing on it) who would hold the copyright on the magazines?

Also, what about the data protection laws about using images of pupils? Saying that, I have in front of me a book with photographs from that period of the said school with every pupil named (the teacher in the photo is the one offering me the magazines).

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Neil,
    An idle thought - how about checking with the Local Education Authority or whatever fancy title they rejoice in nowadays? They won't hold the copyright because the magazine was published by the school, not them, but they might be able to give you the OK to publish on the website.
    As regards the images and names, as they have already been published and Freddie Smith of 2007 is going to look slightly different to Freddie Smith of 2a in 1961, as long as you don't print addresses and phone numbers from either the 1960s or today I wouldn't have thought there would be too much of a problem. You could always put a notice saying that if anyone wants their name withdrawn you will do so.
    Pam

Ed Bradford

Default My thoughts on the matter

I'm not familiar with the laws in your area but these are some of my thoughts on the matter. If you’re in doubt about where things stand legally, I recommend you consult with a lawyer.

First of all, I'd accept the magazines from the person offering them even if you can't do anything with them today. They will make a good donation to the local genealogical society if you don't want them. It would be sad to have them go to the rubbish.

Secondly, I'd check on the extent of copyright laws in your area. If the copyright period has past you may be able to republish them. If they were sold or given out to the public they might be considered as part of the public domain.

Third, if tax dollars were used to publish the magazines in any way, they may already belong to the taxpayers and can possibly be made available any time.

.........................Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Hi all
    For one of my web sites, I have been offered some old school magazines from the 1960's.
    Seeing that the school closed some years ago (whilst I was there whether that has any bearing on it) who would hold the copyright on the magazines?
    Copyright will belong to whoever or whichever organisation inherited its assets. In the case of a local authority school that would be the council under which it came or its present day successor authority. Copyright will extend for 70 years from the year of publication. The copyright owner should be asked for permission to publish.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Hi all
    Also, what about the data protection laws about using images of pupils? Saying that, I have in front of me a book with photographs from that period of the said school with every pupil named (the teacher in the photo is the one offering me the magazines).
    I wouldn't have thought that there would be a problem. Whilst the images and names of the people involved are certainly personal data they are data which the people involved (or parents/guardians acting on their behalf) have permitted to be disclosed by publication in the magazines.

Where the DPA might apply depends on whether you are maintaining the web site as a private individual or on behalf of an organisation. In the latter case it would be necessary for the organisation to register as a Data Controller and ensure that any processing it undertakes is covered by the terms of its registration.

Graham
    Last edited by timbo58; 02-04-2013 at 3:02 PM. Reason: DPA editing at posters request