Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Dammit, stop throwing more spanners into the works I was aware that some of the numbers didn't quite stack up. But were hoping htat these were transcription errors (I've found 3 arrival dates for the ship on 3 webpages). Your belief that his age was 28 helps alot toward what we already thought.
    His marriage permission form has him with a life sentence - was life not life in those days?
    Do you know if Susan came with her family? Big trip for a girl to do on her own.
    Many thanks for the time that you have put into this.

barrie wise

Default William Mumford

Chisel,

A bit more info to add to your confusion:

When the convicts were sentenced in England to life or a term, it was transportation for life, not sentenced to life in prison. Generally on arrival the convicts were assigned to Government gangs or to free settlers as cheap labourer, and eventually most received a Ticket of Leave and finally a Conditional Pardon. Some of those like William Mumford who re-offended in Van Diemen's Land were sentenced and sent to the prison at Port Arthur and when this closed they were placed in the Campbell Street Gaol in Hobart.

To find any baptisms or deaths that aren't listed in the RGD [or transcribed onto the Pioneer Index and Federation Index], one must wade through all the church records, although in Hobart records from some undertakers are available.

William Mumford convict no. 56293 - Mumford is shown as arriving in VDL on the "Augusta Jessie" from Portsmouth 22nd January 1835, however as he was holding a Conditional Pardon, he most likely came from NSW. However on the 10th September 1872 he was found guilty of burglary and larceny in the Hobart Supreme Court and sentenced to 10 years at Port Arthur. He was transferred to Campbell Street Gaol, arriving there on the 17th September 1877. His age was listed as 66 years and his warrant number was 12072. His occupation is shown as being a house servant, religion Protestant with three or more convictions and he could apparently read only. Mumford was released with a Ticket of Leave on the 8th February 1878. ref: Graves of Tasmania, to Court, to Port Arthur, to Campbell Street Gaol by Laurie Moody. His email address is lauriem (at) kooee.com.au

From this data William's birth could be from 1808 to 1814, probably in Finchampton, Berkshire, and he didn't come from NSW.

Barrie.

hazelk

Default Augusta Jessie

My GG grandfather Charles Blight was transported on Augusta Jessie too. He was convicted of 'maliciously wounding a sheep' in Cornwall. He went on to marry a fellow convict, Grace Stevens, also Cornish, who was transported on board the 'Rajah' for stealing a length of dress material.
    Tasmanian records for convicts a quite comprehensive on their national archives site. If you find any other sources I would love to hear about them.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by hazelk View Post
    My GG grandfather Charles Blight was transported on Augusta Jessie too. He was convicted of 'maliciously wounding a sheep' in Cornwall. He went on to marry a fellow convict, Grace Stevens, also Cornish, who was transported on board the 'Rajah' for stealing a length of dress material.
    Tasmanian records for convicts a quite comprehensive on their national archives site. If you find any other sources I would love to hear about them.
    Will keep you in mind when I take this further. Unfortunally I'm new to convicts so don't hold your breath.
    The Tassie archieves stuff arrived a week ago. Nothing extra in them that wasn't on their web page. Next source is the English courts for his trial records.
    When I rang the Tassie Archieves and requested the records nothing was said about a charge until the info arrived with an invoice. Don't mind paying but it should have been stated at the beguinning.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    And in Tasmania you can get a copy of his file. Apparently they are full of information and well worth the money.

https://www.archives.tas.gov.au/nameindexes

I see that there were two of that name arrived in 1835, yours was still a convict when he married so easy to tell them apart.

ChristineR
    As you can see from my earlier post, I did mention money. In this day and age I am surprised that you thought that there would be no cost involved. A case of a misunderstanding, the person you spoke to should have made sure that you were aware of the charges which are not made up front. People should not assume that visitors to their web site have read all the information about such things.

A pity you did not get some new information after all that wait. At least you know that there is nothing more to get.

ChristineR

A fountain of knowledge

It could have been alot worse - imagine if it have been an $80 account instead of $30.
    What caught me out was that normally you get asked for your credit card details and pay straight away.
    In future I will ask if there are any charges.
    Live and learn

A fountain of knowledge

I have the stuff from the Tasmanian archives part of which is "Entry 1263
    Mumford Wm als Willis, Augusta Jessie January 1835, Essex 1st July 1834, Life.
    Transported for Horse Stealing, Gaol report not known, Hulk report, Good"
    &
    "Arrived 17 Sept 1872 Transported for Burglary & Larceny, Tried Hobt St 10th Sept 1872, Sentenced 10 years".
    &
    Native Place, Finchingfield House

Next step is trial report from A2a but when I search Essex Quarter Session I get a bunch of entries. My question is what information do I need to order a copy of the records and be certain that I'm getting what I expect?

A fountain of knowledge

Update on progress. I have been supplied with an link to the Essex Records Office by another forum member (returning my favour to him)

www.essexcc.gov.uk/ero The staff responded immediately and gave me the following and suggestions for further research which I have duly posted on the Essex page.
    "William Mumford otherwise called William Willis, late of the parish of Little Bardfield, Essex, 'puts himself' [put forward a plea of] guilty to a charge of stealing a gelding, and was convicted and sentenced to transportation for life".

Getting closer to my man.
    Question: If you were going to change your name what would influence you choice? Mothers maiden name?

Mlee

Hello Chisel.

A Tasmanian convict William Mumford was my grandmother's grandfather. I have no information to add, but am fascinated by what you have discovered so far.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mlee View Post
    Hello Chisel.

A Tasmanian convict William Mumford was my grandmother's grandfather. I have no information to add, but am fascinated by what you have discovered so far.
    Awww that's a bit mean giving me a smell of the dinner but saying I can't eat it.
    There are a few William Mumford's that lived in Tassie.
    Do you know when your grandmother was born? My William had 3 children, 1 was a daughter without a registered 1st name but I do know when she was born.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast