Stephen M. Kohler

Default The American Civil War was very much a British family affair!

All Sixteenth. Seventeenth, Eighteenth, and several Nineteenth Century American wars fought on foreign and domestic soil were British family affairs. Through the Sixteenth, Seventeenth, and Eighteenth Centuries the majority of antagonists on either side of the battle field were of British stock. In the later Eighteenth Century and the first half of the Nineteenth Century Americans of British stock were joined by larger numbers of Irish Americans and German Americans due primarily to the nature of immigration into the United States. The American British stock are clearly represented by such names as Rogers, Clark, Merriweather, Lincoln, Wright, Jackson, Sheridan, Grant, Lee, Thomas, Johnson, Smith, Clifford, and Cleburne throughout the histories of American wars.
    Consider the many thousands of Britons who crossed the Atlantic to fight in the American Civil War and then the many thousands of Americans that crossed the Atlantic to fight in WWI and WWII. The British interests in American wars are every bit as serious as the American interests in British wars and exhibits an intimacy that only a family might understand.

/R

Stephen
    Washington, DC

MarkJ

Indeed! One of my ancestors, Thomas Benney, was born in Bodmin, Cornwall and emigrated to Pennsylvania, where he married a local girl in 1850. He was killed 1864 fighting with the 2 Pennsylvania Provisional Heavy Artillery.

Mark

Ed Bradford

Default Kinship

Stephen, your posting is right on.

Over the last four or five hundred years, the British have woven a fabric of alliances that, although now loosely woven, still covers the world today. I am proud that part of my ancestry is anchored in the United Kingdom and feel akin to my British brethren.

.................Ed

Stephen M. Kohler

Default One People Divided By A Common Language!

Mark and Ed,
    Someone famous once said we (Americans and British) are "One People Divided By A Common Language"! I have to agree!

/R

Stephen
    Washington, DC

Ed Bradford

Our common bond, our language, has kept us friends over the years. I include Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Bermuda and all of the other English speaking countries. Now if we can just get everyone to drive on the right side of the street........

..............Ed