Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pated

Default TOOLEY FAMILY OF SUTTERTON & CHAPPEL HILL

Hi everyone,
    I have been reading the posts on the Tooley family and wonder if some of you have any knowledge of my line of Tooleys.
    My GGrandmother was Mahala Elizabeth Tooley. She was born in 1841 in Sutterton to John Tooley and Amy Elizabeth Gout.
    John Tooley was born in Chappel Hill in 1809 to William Tooley and Mary Southringwood (Southernwood).
    Mahala married William Steward in 1863.
    Any help with Mahala's family would be most appreciated.
    Regards,
    Pat.

petergout

Default Tooley Family of Sutterton and Chappel Hill

Dear Pat

I noticed your recent post and wondered whether you were the Pat I exchanged e-mails with about 5 years ago. I cannot remember how much help I was then, but I have looked up the various censuses from 1841 to check on Amy Elizabeth Tooley. She seems to have given her place of birth in 1841 as "Coney, Staffordshire" but I cannot find a Coney in Staffordshire. In 1881, she has put her place of birth as "Hertford, Hertfordshire" and there is a Colney Heath in Hertfordshire.

What I find intriguing is that I have discovered a Gout with the given names of Mahalah Elizabeth which seem to be an unusual set of names but she was born in 1832 and went with her parents to the United States in the late 1830s. I have details of her line to today but no details prior to the birth of her father in 1810 in Sutterton.

With regards to Amy Elizabeth, I still have not found an Amy Elizabeth in my research although I have spent most of my most recent research time in Norwich because I have found that my ancestors were from Norfolk and moved to Lincolnshire in the 1830s.

Can you let me have further details of Amy Elizabeth, such as an approximate date of birth? I will be going to the Lincolnshire Archives in the next few weeks and will try to find more information for you.

Best regards and Happy New Year

Peter Gout
    Thrapston, Northants UK

Pated

Hello Peter,
    Yes, On looking back through my notes, I do believe we had contact in 2001. How time marches on. Nice to catch up with you again.
    I'm afraid I haven't done much research into Amy Elizabeth's family. I have been concentrating on the Tooley side.
    My records show Amy Elizabeth was born in 1806/7 in Ridge Hertford. I have come to this conclusion from various census I have viewed.
    If you have a look at the Family Search web site you will see there is a Roger Gout b.12 July 1805 and an Amy Elizabeth Gout b.19 May 1807. Both were born to Roger and Elizabeth Gout in Ridge Hertford. These were taken out of the parish records through the extraction program. Batch No. C072801. While not without mistakes, I find this a little more reliable that those records submitted by patrons.
    My records show from the Sutterton Parish Church records the only entries for Gout were as follows-
    Bap. 7 Oct 1810 James to George and Elizabeth Gowt (nee Drake) - farmer

Bap. 28 Jan 1822 Mary Anne to Roger and Elizabeth Gout, Sutterton, farmer.

1871 Census. Living 43 Chruch St. Sutterton-
    Henry GOUT Head 38 Ag Lab. born Sutterton
    Mary Ann " Wife 31 " Heckington
    Louisa " Dau 11 Scholar " Sutterton
    Eliz.Jane " " 9 " " "
    MaryAnn " " 6 " " "
    Emma " " 4 " " "
    Roger " Son 3 " "
    Dinah " Dau 10mths " "

1851 Census. Living in Algarkirk, Lincs.
    John Gout Head 54 Ag Lab. Born Bilney Norfolk
    Ann " Wife 46 " Gosberton Lincs
    Henry " Son 19 " Sutterton
    Emma " Dau 11 " "
    Eliza Ann " " 9 " "
    William " Son 6 " Algarkirk

1851 Census. Living with Thomas Ward on Dowkyke Road Sutterton-
    John Gout Lodg. U/m 21 Ag. Labourer Born Sutterton.

Hope some of the above is helpful.

Can you tell me who was the father of the Mahala Elizabeth b. 1832 that you mention. You say he was b. 1810 in Sutterton.

Regards,

Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pated View Post
    Can you tell me who was the father of the Mahala Elizabeth b. 1832 that you mention. You say he was b. 1810 in Sutterton.

Mahala Elizabeth GOUT appears in the IGI as dau of James and Mahala GOUT, bap 12 Aug 1832 Sutterton

James GOWT bap Sutterton, 7 Oct 1810, son of George and Elizabeth (nee DRAKE)

See https://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear...lear_form=true

Pated

Hello Peter,

Thank you for confirming Amy Elizabeths birth in Ridge.

I am very confused with the Gout/Gowt/Gaute, family at the moment. I don't quite know what to think.

Amy Elizabeth and John Tooley called their first child Eliza Drake Tooley. Why would they call their daughter after George Gout's wife?

The James you mention bap in Sutterton in 1810 was the son of George Gout and Elizabeth (nee Drake)

You also informed me earlier that when Amy Elizabeth and John Tooley married, James was a witness, and it was he who married Mahala ?

Do you have any record showing who Amy Elizabeth's father was at the time of her marriage? Unfortunately, the film I have viewed of Sutterton register doesn't include this marriage. If you haven't a record of this, I will order in another film, which should include this marriage, just to satisfy myself as to who Amy Elizabeth's father is.

Hope I haven't confused you any further. :-)

Best wishes,

Pat.

suz.h

hi i am also researching the tooley family the earliest that i have is charles tooley born 1828 in norwich, he married elizabeth simmonds 1850 st nicholas great yarmouth, charles occupation was as a baker they moved from great yarmouth to south shields in about 1873 i wonder if you have charles in your records

Pated

Quote Originally Posted by suz.h View Post
    hi i am also researching the tooley family the earliest that i have is charles tooley born 1828 in norwich, he married elizabeth simmonds 1850 st nicholas great yarmouth, charles occupation was as a baker they moved from great yarmouth to south shields in about 1873 i wonder if you have charles in your records
    Hi,
    Sorry to say none of my Tooley Family appear to match your Charles. Most of mine were born in Lincolnshire.
    Good luck with your search,
    Pat.

bowallgen

Hello

As with Pat my Tooley family are related to John Tooley and Amy Elizabeth Gout (Mary Ann Tooley b. 1836 Sutterton, Lincolnshire, England). I do not have a Charles Tooley identified in my dataset.

Good luck with your quest. Jim

bowallgen

Quote Originally Posted by suz.h View Post
    Hello

As with Pat my Tooley family are related to John Tooley and Amy Elizabeth Gout (Mary Ann Tooley b. 1836 Sutterton, Lincolnshire, England). I do not have a Charles Tooley identified in my dataset.

Pated

Quote Originally Posted by bowallgen View Post
    Hello

Hi Jim,
    I see you are in Canada. Can I assume from that you are a descendent of Mary Ann Tooley and John Hunt?
    I am the great granddaughter of Mahala Elizabeth, Mary Ann's sister. I have been trying to find a link with the Tooley family for many years.
    I'm afraid Mahala died before my mother was born, so we know nothing about the family at all. In fact until I started doing my research, my mother had no idea her grand mother was a Tooley.
    Do you know if Mary Ann ever went overseas with her husband, or did he leave her? I have often wondered.
    Do you have any photographs of this family that would give us an idea as to what they looked like? My mother is still alive (93) and I would love to show her.
    Cheers,
    Pat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast