Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bowallgen

Default Hunts in Canada

Hi Pat:

As far as I can tell John Hunt came over to Canada to work with/live near his two sons in Bracebridge, Ontario and while he was working in Canada died on 6 May 1892. I assume that he had been in Canada for a few years as he appears in the 1891 Canadian Census. The family were primarily stone masons. Of the family of 9 children of Mary Ann Tooley and John Hunt four of the sons, Alfred England, Thomas England, Jesse and Harry all came to Canada. Alfred came in 1879, Thomas and Jesse around 1886, and Harry came in 1910 (he possibly came to Canada in the late 1880's or 1890's then returned to England). I only have pictures of Harry Hunt and obituary pictures from Toronto newspapers from WWI for those that died during the war. I would be pleased to send pictures.

Jim

Pated

Default TOOLEY FAMILY OF SUTTERTON & CHAPPEL HILL

Quote Originally Posted by bowallgen View Post
    Hi Pat:

As far as I can tell John Hunt came over to Canada to work with/live near his two sons in Bracebridge, Ontario and while he was working in Canada died on 6 May 1892. I assume that he had been in Canada for a few years as he appears in the 1891 Canadian Census. The family were primarily stone masons. Of the family of 9 children of Mary Ann Tooley and John Hunt four of the sons, Alfred England, Thomas England, Jesse and Harry all came to Canada. Alfred came in 1879, Thomas and Jesse around 1886, and Harry came in 1910 (he possibly came to Canada in the late 1880's or 1890's then returned to England). I only have pictures of Harry Hunt and obituary pictures from Toronto newspapers from WWI for those that died during the war. I would be pleased to send pictures.

Jim
    Hi Jim,
    Thank you for your prompt reply. Also your kind offer. That won't be necessary as I am mainly interested in the Tooley Family. Thank you all the same.
    I shall continue the search for some descendants of my Tooleys.

Best wishes,

Pat.

Thomas Birdsall

Quote Originally Posted by petergout View Post
    Dear Pat

What I find intriguing is that I have discovered a Gout with the given names of Mahalah Elizabeth which seem to be an unusual set of names but she was born in 1832 and went with her parents to the United States in the late 1830s. I have details of her line to today but no details prior to the birth of her father in 1810 in Sutterton.

Peter Gout
    Thrapston, Northants UK
    Dear Peter,

We have not written each other in about 9 years. I have some new information . I have found the death certificate of Mahala Elizabeth Gout's sister Eleanor. It gave the name as Eleanor Seymour McCullough and listed her parents as James Gout and Mahala Seymour.

I looked through the IGI and found that a Mahala Jane Seymour married Spouse: James Gout Marriage: 17 JUN 1831 St Peter, Wisbech, Cambridge, England.

This would match the tombstone "Mahala J. wife of James Gout" here in Milford, Michigan, USA. So having found what her middle , and maiden name were, and marriage date perhaps this Wisbech, Cambridge area gives us another place to look things up.

The Seymour name matched up very well, my gr. grandfathers name was Frank Seymour Birdsall, now I know where it came from..
    Have also found possible parents of Mahala J. Seymour as William Seymour and Elizabeth Newton, from Metheringham, England. Their children were: Betsy b. about 1806, William b. Abt 1810 and (Mahala b. Abt 1810, which might match up with my Mahala b. 1813), and the naming pattern lines up well here, with her 1st born being Mahala Elizabeth Gout (known as Betsy Birdsall by her married name).

Also have found record of death of James Gout b. 1810 Sutterton. His third wife put down that his parents were J. E. Gout and Holden Gout. Not sure where that leaves us with George Gowt and Elizabeth Drake?

Hope all is well
    Thomas A. Birdsall

petergout

Dear Thomas

May I apologise for not getting back to you earlier. I spent the day yesterday at the Record Office in Lincoln and found the following in the Sutterton Parish Records:

May 19th 1831 - marriage of John TOOLEY and Amy Elizabeth GOUT. Witnesses were James GOUT and Mahalah Jane SEYMOUR.

Although I have yet to find the relationship between Amy Elizabeth and James (most likely they were cousins) it does seem to confirm your belief that James married a woman named Seymour. You commented about the belief that she came from Cambridge but can you be more specific. I plan to go to the Record Office in Cambridge at some time but there are many parishes in the county of Cambridgeshire.

James still remains a mystery because his baptism in Sutterton comes out of the blue, you could say. His parents seem to have no history in this part of Lincolnshire and at this time my ancestors were still in Norfolk. The next record of a Gout in Sutterton is:

January 28th 1822 - baptism of Mary Anne daughter of Roger and Elizabeth.

I have yet to ascertain who this Roger was. There is one possibility and he would be about 50 at this stage and was born in Norfolk. I need to spend more time researching this.

I hope that helps with your research.

Best regards

Peter Gout

Thomas Birdsall

Peter,

Since we can now place James GOUT and a Mahala Jane SEYMOUR at the wedding of John TOOLEY and Amy Elizabeth GOUT, perhaps this Mahala and Amy were sisters. Given Amy's middle name as Elizabeth could she have been known as Betsy as a child? I know this might be of wishful family thinking, but it is how my Gr.Gr grandmother used her middle name. (Mahala Elizabeth Gout, known as Betsy), and would fit the family that I described in my first post about the SEYMOUR'S.

Your research does help, Thank you,

Regards

Thomas

Thomas Birdsall

Sorry, I seem to be crossing my people here, Perhaps Amy was sister or as you might suspect cousin of James Gout. I have no further clues to give you regarding what place in Cambridge other than the church at Wisbech, Cambridge.

Thomas

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Peter

I am a newcomer to these pages so hope you are still a member. I am descended from Anne Mary Tooley who married John Robberds (Roberts) of Norwich in 1760. Her parents were William and Mary Anne but other than I know very little except about the Robberds connection. I do know the Tooleys were very active in Norwich earlier than that and hoped that your family may be the same I have had DNA tests done if that helps. Kindest regards Barbara Dawson from Sydney, Australia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12