Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sally

Default Is there a jam maker in Australia out there?

Hi there

During WW2 my mother's family here in England were given a tin of Pineapple & Quince jam from Australia and she has never forgotten the wonderul taste of it.

Is there a jam maker (or son/daughter of a jam maker) out there who has an Australian recipe dating back to the 1940's that I could pass onto my mother please?

Regards
    Sally

Davran

Hi Sally

I'm not in Australia, but I have a book of exotic jams, pickles and chutneys. Unfortunately, there is no pineapple and quince, but maybe your mother could adapt something from there? There is a recipe for quince conserve and one for honeydew melon and pineapple.

The melon and pineapple recipe recommends adding pectin (melon is very low in pectin) to help the jam to set, but the quince recipe only adds lemon juice, so I imagine quince is faily high in pectin.

I'm sure there are others out there who are better jam makers than I am, but if you don't hear from anyone else and would like either of the recipes, send me a PM.

Colin Moretti

Hello Sally

As a jam maker myself, in a small way, I have a Good Housekeeping book (UK) from 1973 which I have found very reliable. It doesn't specifically give a recipe for pineapple and quince but the two separately are very similar. The problem with quince (which I have done) is that it is low in pectin so doesn't set very well without additional acid (lemon juice/citric acid) and pineapple seems to be very similar; here's the latter recipe:
    3 lb pineapple, prepared weight
    3 tablespoons lemon juice or 1 level teaspoon citric or tartaric acid
    2 lb 8 oz sugar
    3/4 pints water

Cut the pineapple into thick slices, removing the top, bottom and skin, then shred, discarding the centre core, and weigh. Place in a pan; add the water and lemon juice or acid; simmer for 3/4 hr, until the pineapple is tender and the water almost evaporated. Add the sugar and, when dissolved bring to the boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes or until setting point is reached. Pot and cover.
    Quince jam uses a similar proportion of lemon juice/acid but needs rather more water and sugar (1 1/2 pints water & 3 pints sugar to 2 lb fruit) so try experimenting with half and half pineapple/quince and rather more (in proportion) water and sugar than the pineapple recipe. The quinces need to be peeled, cored and sliced; cooking until soft may take longer than the pineapple alone. After adding the sugar determine the cooking time by the setting point rather than boiling for a set time; I find the most reliable method (particularly for low-pectin fruits) is to measure the temperature with a sugar thermometer - 221 deg F, 105 deg C.

There are websites devoted to jam making (of course) so you may well find a suitable recipe if you you do a search.

Let us know how you (or your mother) get on.

I've just seen that Davran has beaten me to posting a reply. Quince is not terribly low in pectin and neither recipe calls for it so I don't think you need to add any, as long as you watch the setting point.

Colin
    Last edited by Colin Moretti; 18-12-2007 at 5:32 PM. Reason: correction/addition

Davran

Sally, if your mother makes it, can you send me and Colin a jar each?

Just joking! I love making jam, but don't much like eating it.

sally

Ah now Davran, I am the other way round. I wouldn't have the patience to make jam but don't mind trying out the end result. Thank you both for your help, I will pass on your offer of recipes to my mother & Colin I have printed your one out for her.
    She recently made quince jam & I tried it when I visited her last week. I prefer plum jam if it is not too sweet & the other year on a visit to York I had rhubarb jam in a small cafe that was delicious - must get her to try making that one.

I am still hoping that when I log on tomorrow an Australian member has been able to help out.

Regards
    Sally

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Quince farm is makes allsorts of quince jam including quince and pineapple jam but theres no address or contact details.

https://www.quincefarm.com/jams.htm
    Julie

sally

Thanks for the links Julie, I had found the Qince Farm one when searching the web but not the one on Talbot which I was busy reading when I thought I should thank you before I forgot.

Regards
    Sally

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Sorry if this just confuses things....but... I understand that there are at least 3 types of Quince, the Van Deman, the Burbank and the Pineapple. Could it have been jam made from the Pineapple Quince and not Pineapple & Quince?
    I'm quite willing to try either, or both
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

v.wells

Ingredients

1 pint water and 1 lb. of sugar to each large quince

Quinces (your requirements)

Method
    Quince Jam

Wash and wipe quinces, slice thinly, removing cores, simmer cores in some of the water/ Add all the water to the fruit and bring slowly to the boil. Continue boiling gently till quinces are soft and just turning pink. Add sugar and boil till the syrup, when tested, will jell. Bottle and seal in usual way.

Pineapple Kiwi Jam

Ingredients :

4 x Kiwi fruit, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
    3 cup Sugar
    1/4 cup Lime juice
    8 oz Can crushed pineapple, undrained
    3 oz Pkg. liquid fruit pectin
    3 dsh Green food coloring

Method :
    Microwave Directions: In 2-quart microwave safe bowl, combine kiwi fruit, sugar, lime juice and pineapple. Microwave on High for 11 1/2 to 16 minutes or until mixture comes to full rolling boil, stirring every 2 minutes. Stir in liquid pectin. Microwave on High for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture comes to full rolling boil. Continue to boil for 1 minute. Skim foam; stir in food coloring. Spoon into 5 clean, hot 8 ounce jars. Screw lids on firmly. Cool several hours. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or in freezer up to 3 months.
    Makes 4 1/2 cups.
    Last edited by v.wells; 21-12-2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: left off a recipe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast