kgfrontier

Question Venables in Caergwrle, Flintshire

Greetings!

I am looking for Ann/Anna/Hannah Venables who was born about 1831-1835 [she got younger with every census] in Wales according to U.S. census records (1860-1880). Family Bible records (written by her grandson's wife many years after Ann died) say that she was born in "Caergaerle". The closest I could find to that was Caergwrle, Flintshire. Before trying to search those parish registers, I thought I'd ask this group if you can think of another possible place that would match.

Just a bit more info: I found potential candidates to be Ann on both the 1841 and 1851 censuses, but I can't be certain that I have the right one. I have also found several possible Ann Venables on passenger lists with the same problem. Same situation on the 1850 U.S. census! Family legend says she had a sister named Barbara who married a Perry and lived in Pennsylvania. I haven't been able to find Barbara in the U.K. or the U.S. either.

I've done extensive research on this woman and her family, but have not found any associates who aren't relatives of her husband's.

One more question: Apparently the Caergwrle in New South Wales is pronounced "ka-girlie". Is it pronounced that way in Wales too? Which syllable is accented?

Many thanks for any help!

Karen

Knowledgeable and helpful

On the 1860 census in Woodward, Clinton, Pennsylvania is a Benjamin Perry age 62 born England Barbara Perry age 57 born England. On the 1870 census for Lamar, Clinton Pennsylvania are Benjamin Perry born England age 73 and Barbara age 67 born North Wales. On the LDS site there is a christening record for a Barbara Venables 26-12-1802 Hanmer Flint, Wales, father John Venables mother Ann Price. This record has been submitted by a member and needs to be verified by the oringal record.
    Julie

kgfrontier

Default Venables and Perry

Thanks for your help. I had noticed this family before, and printed out their entries for my files. I remember thinking that perhaps the "sister" was really an aunt. Barbara born in 1802 and Ann born 1831-1836 seem a bit too far apart to be siblings, but perhaps the family memory has confused generations? I will take a much closer look at this Perry couple and see if anything fits.

Another part of the family story is that Ann's daughter, Florence, born in 1867 in Cincinnati, Ohio, went to Pennsylvania to live with her mother's sister after Ann died in 1883. On her marriage record (in Delaware County, New York) Florence was described as "of Johnstown, Penn." I couldn't make that work with Barbara and Benjamin, but of course, it could be another long-forgotten sister.

Many thanks for your help. I'm going to see what else I can find on Benjamin and Barbara.

Karen