Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

My late Aunt had three family stories that were brought out at gatherings and Sunday tea.

1. Gran (my great grandmother) was an actress, went all over the world acting

This is true

2. There's a Spanish Jewess in our family

This is true - Hannah Mendes

3. We are related to the Lyons family of Lyons Corner House fame

This I have not yet proved or disproved although one on John NATHAN's daughters married a Samuel LYONS. I have not had the time to delve deeply into Samuel NATHAN's siblings - goodness I have only been at it for 12 years! Perhaps this is the year for discovering more about Samuel and his parents and family.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

bobn

Thanks Ann
    do you have the siblings of Hannah Mendes please, I was wondering if one of them was an Abraham as that would tie in with the Lyons family.
    I believe there was Soloman and Louis as brothers of Samuel, and others I would think.
    So Hannah was Spanish; do you have any ideas on Nathan Nathan???
    BTW do you take pm's

Hannah was Sephardi according to information from another researcher she had brothers

These are the children of David MENDES
    Jacob/John b about 1787 London City
    Abraham
    Hannah

Jacob/John married Charlotte HABILHO
    among his children was Rachel MENDES born 1823 who married Henry LYONS 1841 Dorset Street Spitalfields

yes I answer PMs
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

bobn

Thanks Ann
    I was hoping Abraham was a son of David Mendes. This means that he went on to have a daughter Jane who in turn married Aaron Nathan in 1843.
    Also pleaseed to see the connection with the Lyons family again since the Henry route was a red herring.
    Will send pm also

As far as I have found Aaron and Jane did not have any children. In the 1861 Census they have Elizabeth Nathan, niece, staying with them. This is my great grandmother. She grew up to become an actress, went to the Theatre Royal in Liverpool for her first job away from home and it was there that she met and married Charles John Guilfoyle-Seymour an Irish Catholic actor making the Irish part of me the biggest part.

bobn

Hi Ann
    Likewise I haven't seen any children with Aaron and Jane.
    By the way back in 29/11/07 you mentioned a David in the newspaper report?? I wondered what paper that was in??; not the Times so was there a Local paper also around that time?

Just had a look through the file and the mention of David is in the court records that are in a book at the national archives at Kew. Apparently the original records are kept at the London Metropolitan Archives. The photograph I was sent is everso slightly out of focus and all I have are printed copies done with an ink cartridge that was running out. I was going to print them properly the next day when I had more time but that was the day when the puter fell off its perch and I lost everything.
    I will buckle down and transcribe the report - it would be a good thing to put it into the notes on the family tree so it should be done.

bobn

I will be going to Kew at some time and/or the LMA when it re-opens and possibly obtain a new copy. However, if you do manage to transcribe before then would you mind posting a copy via e-mail. I believe the LMA reopens at the end of Feb. In the meantime I will start looking for a David in the census files.

bobn

Found a David Nathan born 1811 at St Georges Southwark living at 3/4 London Road and married to a Louisa. He was a furniture dealer as recorded in the 1851 census.

Oh that sounds good, wouldn't that be just excellent - any children?

Oh my goodness! just looked at the address, they were all along that same road - John was there with his family at 25 (I think) until 1865 when there was a fire and his daughter Jane died. They moved to Old Kent Road and then to 230 Blackfriars Road where they were in 1871. in 1872 there was an advert in the Times for a sale of the Stock in Trade of John Nathan as he was retiring the list of artists is staggering, and then by 1881 they had moved back to London Road, this time at 125.

Oh I love it!
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 08-01-2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: remembered some more stuff

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast