Alan Nancarrow

Unhappy Cornwall Census 1851 & 1861 - Penhall's

I am hoping that a kind and generous person who has access to the 1851 and 1861 Census's can assist.

I am tracking a family by the name of PENHALL. There is some confusion and I hope the Census can sort it.

Digory Ackerly PENHALL married Ann STEPHENS 7/8/1841. Both were residents of Towednack. I located Digory in the 1841 Census, but on his own. I have a birth certificate for their son Frederick who was born 12/1855 Angarrack, Phillack. I have located the birth of a Digory Ackerly Penhall, Dec. Qrtr 1845, have not ordered the certificate yet, but more than likely their son. I have no idea how many children they may have had.

Now, I have a birth certificate for Robert Phillips PENHALL, born 12/1843 at Bregga (?), Towednack. Parents are named as Digory PENHALL and Nancy PENHALL (formerly Stevens).

Both Robert and Frederick emmigrated to Australia where they married sisters.

Frederick's Death Certificate names his father as Digory PENHALL, mothers name not known.

Robert Phillips PENHALL's Death Certificate names his father as Digory PENHALL and his mother as Nancy Phillips.

Penhall is not an overly common name especially in the Penzance/Falmouth area, and the possibility of two Digory PENHALL's seems remote.

The Digory Ackerly PENHALL born 12/1845 emmigrated to South Australia where he married in 1868 dying in NSW in 1913. His death certificate also clouds the issue even further, giving his father as Digory PENHALL and names his mother as Mary Stevens.

Any help, advice, will be much appreciated.

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Hello Alan,

I'd be only too pleased to help you, but unfortunately I can't do it today as my 6 month old Grandson will be arriving sometime this morning with his Mum, they will be staying most of the day.

If I can manage it before they come, I'll look in the 1861 Census for you, but I do understand that you would like this info as fast as possible!

I have the CD's for 1851 but some areas (don't know which ones offhand) are not too clear, but will trawl through your areas to see what I can find after I've done the 1861.

The 1851 will take me a little longer to search, but could definitely do it this weekend.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Nancarrow

Digory Ackerly PENHALL married Ann STEPHENS 7/8/1841. I have a birth certificate for their son Frederick who was born 12/1855 Angarrack, Phillack. .

Now, I have a birth certificate for Robert Phillips PENHALL, born 12/1843 at Bregga (?), Towednack. Parents are named as Digory PENHALL and Nancy PENHALL (formerly Stevens).

Both Robert and Frederick emmigrated to Australia where they married sisters.
    Hi Alan,

Ann Stephens and Nancy Stevens sound like the same person to me.
    An amazing amount of Cornwall census from various years had been transcribed and is online.
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....hin/ukocp.html
    (watch the wrap!)

You might also like to browse the Cornwall Genuki pages as there is so much transcribed stuff online, plus loads of other information.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/

Pam Downes

Smile

Hi Alan,

Here's the 1861 Census for your family, Digory Jnr. is living away from home ...... his Census will be in my next message.

RG9/1586/39/39 Undercliff, Phillack, Cornwall

Digory PENHALL (42) Head Marr Engine Driver b. St. Gluvias
    Nancy PENHALL (42) Wife Marr b. Zennor
    John PENHALL (19) Son Single Copper Miner b. Towednack
    Robert PENHALL (17) Son Single Copper Miner b. Towednack
    Philip PENHALL (14) Son Single Copper Miner b. Towednack
    William PENHALL (10) Son Single Scholar b. Towednack
    Bennet PENHALL (8) Son Single Scholar b. Gwithian
    Frederick PENHALL (6) Son Single Scholar b. Phillack
    Martha A. PENHALL (2) Daughter b. Phillack
    Mary PENHALL (1) Daughter b. Phillack

Smile

RG9/1585/86/11 Churchtown, Gwithian, Cornwall

Charles HOSKIN (39) Head Marr Farmer of 200 Acres employing 3 Men & 3 Boys b. Gwithian
    Ann HOSKIN (41) Wife Marr b. Phillack
    Richard HOSKIN (17) Nephew Single Farmer b. Gwithian
    Mary SMITH (46) Servant Single House Servant b. Mawnan
    Jane JAMES (17) Servant Single Dairy Maid b. Phillack
    Digory PENHALE (16) Servant Single Farm Servant b. Phillack

I'll look for the family in the 1851 Census over the weekend.

Alan Nancarrow

Smile

Hi Diane (& Pam)

Imagine my joy this morning when I checked my email and found I had a reply. The information from the 1861 census has made the picture a whole lot clearer. Save yourself the time and forget the 1851 census, the '61 information is enough.

The mothers name is a bit of a mystery. On the marriage certificate it is shown as 'Ann Stephens' (1841), on Robert's birth certificate as 'Nancy Penhall (formerly Stevens)' (1843) and as 'Ann Penhall (formerly Stevens)' (1855). Undoubtably the same person throughout, but does cloud the picture. Such problems and worse are part and parcel of this game.

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Alan Nancarrow; 02-12-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Hi I am a relative. My family name is Penhall Know some thing of the family
    when they get to Australia . Great grand father and Grandfather Penhall from western districts of New South Wales.

Alan Nancarrow

Default Penhalls

Hi Sharon,

It's a long time since I have done any work on my family tree. My connection to the Penhalls is rather tenuous. My Great Grand Aunt Mary Jane Balfour married Frederick Penhall 18 DEC 1859 1879 at Wagga. Frederick was a policeman at the time. I think they eventually had a hotel in George Street, Bathurst. I think the main reason I did so much work on them was that it was a another connection to Cornwall. I have many Cornish connections on both sides of the family but probably more on the paternal side.

Anyway, I would be happy to learn whatever you care to share, and I will do the same.

Regards,
    Alan

My mum is a Penhall from Orange /Bathurst
    Margret Balfour is the other sister she is were my line goes the two sisters Balfour Married the two brothers Penhall.
    I think.

The Balfour were Scottish.Penhalls Cornish.
    I think The Sisters dad was a convict double count off stealing he ended up at or around Cobar I belive with his wife and girls.Were they ment the Penhall brothers.
    Or so the story goes.