Sandra Parker

Default Barton, Please & Penwill

I am seeking information on my paternal Great Aunt, Elizabeth Sarah Barton, who married George Jacobs Please in December 1936 at Lewisham. George Please had been married previously to Elizabeth Mary Barton in 1882. I believe that they had 5 children, one of whom, Maggie Elizabeth Please, born in 1900, married Montague George Mew on 29th July 1922 and later married Leslie Penwill in 1928. There was at least one child from this marriage, a daughter Margaret Ailsa (also written as Helse) Penwill, born in 1929. Theses families are closely associated with the Isle of Wight.
    Are there any Penwill's on this forum who recognise these names?
    Sandra

kirkby

Hello Sandra, my name is Rosemary Packwood and I knew Leslie Penwill in London in the 1950s. He and my mother, Nancy lived in a de facto relationship. I knew that his wife's name was Margaret and also his daughter's name was Margaret. I met his daughter on many occasions, she married Robert Fawcett, who I also met. They adopted a boy in the 60's I think. I also met Margaret Penwill in 1975 when she wrote to me in Australia where I now live. She got my address from the Packwood family. She wanted to give me a ring that had belonged to my mother who died in 1961. Leslie died in 1975. So many of these details matched the the one's given by you. I had googled Leslie Penwill. I know nothing about the Isle of Wight connection. If I can help further please contact me. Rosemary

Sandra Parker

Hi Rosemary,
    I had almost given up ever getting a reply from this thread as it's been around for quite a while. My family were the Bartons who married into the Please family. As I only have very vague childhood memories of my grandparents and great aunts (especially Elizabeth Sarah Barton), and I had no knowledge at all about their own history and families, I have been trying to fill in the gaps.
    I hoped that there may be some George Please children's descendants, (with his first wife), who might be able to explain my Great Aunt's marriage to George Jacobs Please, who had previously been married to her own Aunt, also Sarah Please. My Gt Aunt Elizabeth was a spinster aged 55 and George was 77 when they married in 1936. She always referred to her then deceased husnband as 'Mr Please' in conversation, but there no other information.
    thanks for your interest.
    Sandra
    Last edited by Sandra Parker; 16-07-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added a bit

jennykear

Hi Rosemary, my name is Jenny and I am one of your cousins on your mother's side. I have had an interest in family history for some years, and have often wondered what happened to you, and where you were. I had a feeling you had gone to Australia, and it looks as if you are still there. I thought I would google you, and this post popped out. I would love to hear from you and catch up with you, and I hope you feel the same. I live in Devon with my husband and our dog, and I have a daughter who has 2 children of her own. I hope you will get in touch, as it has been rather a long time! Best regards, Jenny

I'm glad that this is going so well, but it looks like it's time to issue the Usual Reminder. If people are (potentially) alive, please do not post their info on the open forum - either swap info via our Personal Message system, or (since you all seem to be family) exchange emails via the PM.

jennykear

Hi Lesley, sorry, but I am a bit of a novice, not sure what the Usual Reminder is, have not found the Personal Message system or the PM, and have not found it clear how to send a message, a bit of help would be appreciated as you seem to be a bit more of an expert. Jenny

Hello Jenny and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    we are in the habit of reminding people that the names of living people cannot be posted so that is what Lesley was referring to when she said' Usual reminder'.
    To send a private message (pm) click on the member's username (in this case Rosemary uses the avatar 'kirkby') a drop down menu appears and you click on Private Message which is 3rd down in the list.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

kirkby

Hello jennykear, I'm so excited to hear from you, of course I remember you and all your family. I seem to have lost the longer message I just wrote to you so why don't you email me at dogrose43 [at] westnet.net.au and we can have a good catch up, send photos etc.
    Love from Rose (as I am known now)
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 17-07-2015 at 2:54 PM. Reason: email address deactivated to prevent spam

Jenny, the Usual Reminder is what I said after "Reminder" in my message (number 5).