Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: john Lang

dotsage

I am having such trouble with this site, I don't think I can send a private email address. Anyway, this is all I can find that is on my computer, I may have some more in my notes which I still can't find. As you can see, below, it seems Jemima's mother, Marion Bruce, married 3 times, maybe was the daughter of William Bruce from perhaps, Stirling. Seems like John Laing either died or left before 1844. I remember now that we couldn't work out why Jemima had 2 surnames. Perhaps you can work out this complicated family. Seems like half brothers, but I'm confused !

Ann

Register of Marriages for 1833 (copied from certificate), hard to read.

John Laing, Bookbinder residing in 7? Little King St in this parish, and Marion Bruce or Tod, residing in the ??? parish of Stirling, daughter of William Bruce ???? there and relic (widow) of the deceased, Alexander Tod, weaver there, have been 3 times proclaimed in order to marriage in the Parish church of St Cuthburts ????(Edinburgh) have been ???? married on the 26th day of July, 1833, by the Rev James Mavs????

NOTES ON JEMIMA TODD LAING

Her mother was Marion Bruce, she married
    1.Alexander Todd
    a weaver from Stirling who was her father.
    2.Then married in 1833
    John Laing,
    Bookbinder,Edinb.
    3.Then married in about1844
    William Penman

Jemima
    Todd /Laing
    1824-1882
    b.Sth.Leith Edin.Scot.
    came to Aust.on
    SS.Success in 1852
    married in1844 Andrew
    Porteous (Carpenter)

1851 census (from another relative)
    A very poor transcription (I've amended the names and Jemima jnr's age) of the 1851 census shows the following PORTEOUS household at 5/1 Middle Arthur Pl, Edinburgh St Cuthberts.
    Andrew, 37, House Carpenter (i.e. born ca 1814)
    Jemima, 26
    Marion, 5, Scholar
    Isabella, 4
    Jemima, 6 months
    And also
    John LAING, 15, Plumbers Apprentice
    William LAING, 11, Scholar
    All born in the county

Marion PORTEOUS, b 11 Apr 1845
    Isabella PORTEOUS, b 14 Dec 1846
    Jemima PORTEOUS, b 22 Sep 1850

Starting to feel at home

Thank you again Ann

I think I can shed some light on this family (at least the Laing/Bruce part). I'll sort it out and get back to you. This is the first I've come across the children from Marion Bruce's other marriage(s)

Regards
    John (my full name is John Bruce Laing so you see I have an interest!)

Starting to feel at home

Hello again Ann

After reading back through your notes I think we're pretty much in agreement. I have copies of the John Laing/Marion Bruce marriage you refer to. The John and William Laings residing with Jemima are the (only) children of that marriage and William is my great grandfather who came to Australia in 1856.
    John Laing, the father, died in 1843 so presumably Marion then married William Penman and didn't take the younger children with her!
    Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything I can give you

Kind Regards
    John

Starting to feel at home

And again Ann

Re-looking at the Laing family details from 1841 census I've just realised that Marion doesn't appear. The boy's details all fit with what I know from later documents and confirmed from a family bible so I'm confident it's the right family so that might explain why the boys were left with Jemima -- Marion had left!
    What do you think?

John

dotsage

From my notes, I have found that Marion Bruce's parents were

William Bruce, blacksmith and bell hanger, married (in 16/9/1793) Marion Falconer b. 9/11/1777
    They had about 8 children, Marion was the oldest.

Marion Falconer's parents were
    James Falconer and Agnes (Anne) Thornton b. 1746

Marion Bruce (b. 20/3/1799) in Stirling. Died 1849 Edinburgh.
    Marion's sons, William and John Laing are living with Jemima and Andrew Porteous at Middle Arthur Place by 1851 as Marion is dead. As she had a child in August 1847, perhaps she died between then and the census of 1851.
    In 1844 when she married Penman, Marion and William Penman were living at 127 Nicholson St, Stirling or perhaps Edinburgh. Marion died from cholera. Address listed as West Crosscauseway, Stirling.

There seems to be confusion as to whether she was in Stirling or Edinburgh.

Much of this information comes from another descendant of Marion Bruce and Jemima's line. Most of them ended up in Ballarat.

regards
    Ann

Starting to feel at home

Thanks again Ann

A lot of new information for me here.

Appreciate your time

Regards
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12