Thread: Bernard Farrell

mjfarrell

Default Bernard Farrell

I am trying to find date of birth for my grandfather. Bernard John Farrell. Family heresay says he was born in Bray, Co. Wicklow. Died 24 Jan 1959 at the age of 82. Hence must have been born 1876/77/78.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjfarrell View Post
    I am trying to find date of birth for my grandfather. Bernard John Farrell. Family heresay says he was born in Bray, Co. Wicklow. Died 24 Jan 1959 at the age of 82. Hence must have been born 1876/77/78.
    Did he move to England or Scotland at some point? Irish records are a little hard to track down so it'll help a lot if he moved out of the country!

Trish

mjfarrell

Yes Trish. He was in the army in India in the 1890's and returned to England, Deptford during WW1. He was then employed in the civil service in England until he retired. I have his death certificate but this does not give a date of birth.

jeeb

Default Date of Birth

Hi,
    Do you know his birthday by any chance?

This could be him:- Bernard Farrell son of Bernard Farrell & Mary Tierney born 17 August 1876 Wicklow Ireland.

Jeremy

mjfarrell

Thanks Jeeb. It certainly could be. I have sent for a birth certificate to check it out. The date of birth is what I am really trying to find. Grandfather died as a Chelsea Pensioner so I am going to try them to see if they have a date of birth and also the Army Records Office at Kew but I have to go there to search and they tell me that about two thirds of their records were destroyed in an air raid during WWII.

I know my Grandfather was married in India, probably 1909 or 1910 but have no idea where. I know my father was born in Deptford, London around 1911 (don't have the exact date here as I write but I do have his birth certificate) whilst Grandfather was still serving in India - apparently the wives were sent home to give birth). I know my father returned to India. The whole family cam back to the UK in 1917 when Grandfather left the army. I feel the family home (ie my Great Grandfather may have been in Deptford, maybe the family moved from Ireland to India sometime in the late 1800's and then Grandfather joined the army, probably around 1895.

Thanks again

huntebony

Hi,

Not sure if you are still researching Bernard Farrell. I have just commenced this task for my wife's family and based on the information above it would appear that Bernard Farrell was my wife's great grandfather. If we have the same person (and I think we do) as the information re him being in India is correct as at least one of his daughter's - Constance, was supposedly born in India. Constance is my wife's grandmother.

We have Bernard John Farrell marrying Caroline Elizabeth (not sure of surname at this stage) and they had the following children (including Constance):

Hugh
    Winifred
    Patricia (also known as Peggy)
    Constance
    Joan
    Denis

If you are still researching, I would love to get in touch with you to compare further information.

Thanks,

Grahame & Denise