Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bettles-Hall

Alasdair Hall

Geoffers, thanks for taking me outside the box!
    From your last suggestions I have now researched with a new view.
    Family HALL of the 1881 census does not appear in 1871. However we do have a BETTLE family in the 1871 census with the same wife's name, and with a Joseph as a son. However, family BETTLE does not appear in 1881. In both families the wife, Mary A., is born in Halcot. I think we may have the same mother and son, but different husbands??
    There is a marriage listed March 1881 between a Mary Ann BETTLES and John Christopher HALL, Northampton 3b 97.
    This looks a very good chance of where Joseph (my g-grandfather) may have got his Bettles Hall from. Yes??
    How would I now go about confirming all this?
    If we have got the right mother and son, I'm a bit puzzled why Mary is using the name BETTLES? I have not found a death for the possible first husband of James BETTLE (1871 census) and if she was divorced would she not return to her maiden name? Would the possible second marriage certificate help here? Looking forward to any help, Alasdair Bettle!! :-)
    PS I've not ben able to find any record of the possible first marriage.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair Hall View Post
    Family HALL of the 1881 census does not appear in 1871. However we do have a BETTLE family in the 1871 census with the same wife's name, and with a Joseph as a son.
    Okedoke - waht's the dad's mame on the 1871 census return and are there any other children?

However, family BETTLE does not appear in 1881. In both families the wife, Mary A., is born in Halcot. I think we may have the same mother and son, but different husbands??
    Sounds hopeful

There is a marriage listed March 1881 between a Mary Ann BETTLES and John Christopher HALL, Northampton 3b 97.
    Well, two entries with the same reference - they may not ahve married each other, but in the circumstances it looks promising. In your shoes, i'd be getting that marriage certificate with a special interest in;

a) What Mary's marital state was

b) The recorded name of her father and his occupation

c) Who the witnesses were

This looks a very good chance of where Joseph (my g-grandfather) may have got his Bettles Hall from. Yes??
    Looks very hopeful, John HALL may have brought up young Joseph as his own and wanted him to use his surname, mum may have wanted to keep hold of his birth name, so they settled on a compromise.

How would I now go about confirming all this?
    A good start would be the marriage certificate - do you know how to order them online?

If we have got the right mother and son, I'm a bit puzzled why Mary is using the name BETTLES? I have not found a death for the possible first husband of James BETTLE (1871 census)
    What criteria have you used to search? Could he be the James who popped his clogs at Lewes in 1880 aged 33?

Sorry for not replying sooner, my own fault for answering so many messages, I end up missing some replies.

Alasdair Hall

Smile

Family BETTLE (1871 census): Fathers name is James, age 23, b Northampton. No other children.

Marriage HALL/BETTLES (March 20 1881) certificate arrived today:

a) Mary's marital "condition" is widow. Her name is Mary Ann BETTLES.

b) Fathers name Thomas Brown, Labourer

c) Witnesses are William Lowe and Jane Lowe

Searching for James' death I searched only BETTLE. Ooops! Thanks for reminder of keeping all name options open! Yes, he could be the James who popped his clogs at Lewes in 1880 aged 33? :-)

Have today ordered possible copy of first marriage:
    James BETTLE / Mary Ann BROWN 1870 March Northampton 3b 68
    However the "now" mystery is that "their" son (1871 census), Joseph, the actual character that I'm trying to define, was approx. 3 years old when they married! I'll tackle that question once I have the certificate I think.
    Last edited by Alasdair Hall; 16-11-2007 at 8:36 PM. Reason: Need to learn how to use the quote facility!

Marilyn P

Just trying to digest all of this
    Alisdair, did the marriage certificate for James BETTLE and Mary Ann BROWN sort things out?

There was a Mary Ann Brown bapt in Holcot 6th apr 1845, does she fit agewise?

Marilyn

Alasdair Hall

Hi Marilyn,
    Wow, this thread seems a long time ago :-)
    Yes, I finally did get to the bottom of this conundrum. Is your interest personal with family, or just general interest? Why I ask is that to answer in full will take some effort, and at the moment I'm up to my ears with some exams!
    Do let me know if it is a personal family interest and I will make the effort.
    Regards, Alasdair

Marilyn P

Smile

Alasdair
    I have a special interest in the families of Walgrave and the surrounding area (which includes Holcot).
    But - the Mary Ann Brown that I mentioned is also part of a family that I researched for someone else and I have information that I can share with you if she is yours. When your exams are over of course....

A quick question - where did James and Mary Ann marry?

Marilyn

Alasdair Hall

Hi Marilyn,
    You've got my curiousity now!
    Yes, it seems we have the same Mary Ann BROWN.

Marriage of James BETTLES and Mary Ann BROWN, NRO reference 232p/18, 27 Feb 1870. Mary Ann was living at 97 Market Street Northampton, and James at 101.
    Mary's father is Thomas BROWN, labourer. Witness signatories: John BROWN, Elizabeth BROWN.

The character I was looking for was Mary's son (my great grandfather) Joseph, born 11 Jun 1866, Northampton Poor Law Union. No father is given on the birth certificate.

It would appear that Joseph took his "step" fathers name, as he was baptised Joseph Brown son of James, brickmaker, and Mary Ann BETTLES of Hatton Park Road in 1872, age 6, at Wellingborough All Hallows, NRO reference: 350p/653 and 654.

A question I would like to "answer" at some stage, well as best as one can, is who was Joseph's father? I would like to know what family name I come from!

Hope this is of interest, and looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards, Alasdair.

Marilyn P

Alasdair

I will give you my personal email address in a private maessage.

Marilyn

Default Related!?

Sorry to reply to a very old thread but I am a fellow Bettles-Hall family member from the UK!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12