Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Remembering the Fallen

I am sure in the run up to Remembrance Day our thoughts turn to specific men who paid the ultimate price, and I thought it would be nice to have a special thread for them. Many were not direct ancestors, simply because they were taken before they could reach the age to marry and have children, but they are still remembered by their families.

This is to remember Private John Stuart DAGG of the 13th Btn Royal Welch Fusiliers, who died of wounds received at the Battle of Bapaume on 2 September 1918. He was only 20 years old, and so nearly made it through the war. He is buried in St.Sever Cemetery, Rouen, but is remembered on the grave of his sister, who died in infancy, and his parents John Samuel and Winifred DAGG, outside Llandaff Cathedral in Cardiff. He was always fondly remembered by his two siblings, Kitty and Bill, who thanks to his sacrifice both lived to see their 95th year.
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 05-11-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typo
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

jeeb

Default Remembering the dead

Hi Sue,
    I think it was good to bring this to our attention but most of us already remember the young fighting men and women who gave their lives for their country. What does often get overlooked is the thousands of innocent citizens killed in the bombing raids of our towns and cities, many of them only children. They were just as much victims of a needless waste of life and I salute them all.

Jeremy

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb View Post
    Hi Sue,
    I think it was good to bring this to our attention but most of us already remember the young fighting men and women who gave their lives for their country. What does often get overlooked is the thousands of innocent citizens killed in the bombing raids of our towns and cities, many of them only children. They were just as much victims of a needless waste of life and I salute them all.

Jeremy
    An admirable thought Jeremy and without wishing to cause controversy I think it could be expanded to cover all innocent citizens killed in time of war.

Procat

In memory of my great uncles:

Thomas Johnson Died 5 August 1916, age 34
    Maurice Patrick Walther Died 31 October 1917 age 27
    Walter Charles Walther Died 3 June 1918 age 30.

jeeb

Default No controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    An admirable thought Jeremy and without wishing to cause controversy I think it could be expanded to cover all innocent citizens killed in time of war.
    You are not causing controvery Procat, you are merely putting what I meant in a better way.

Jeremy

suedent

Remembering my gg-uncle John Edward JAY. He emmigrated to NZ in 1909 to start a new life. When war was declared he joined the NZEF. He was injured in 1917 and given 6 days leave. He used that leave to return to Cornwall and marry Mabel Gummow on 6 August 1917. Sadly John was killed on at Ypres on 12 October 1917, Mabel remained in Liskeard and died in 1970, never re-marrying.

Also my great-uncle Thomas John A'LEE who was killed on 11 January 1942 in North Africa and who is buried at El Alamein.

bracaragh

In memory of my great uncles:
    Patrick MURPHY died 10 November 1917,buried at Tyne Cot, awarded DCM
    and
    James MURPHY died 22 December 1914, remembered at Le Touret.

Sunpat

I cannot look at the CWGC website without weeping for everyone who is memorialised whether a civilian or serviceman/woman.
    Tragic loss of lives.
    Sunpat

Mutley

For them all
    Least we forget

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

BeeE586

My late husband was in the Long Range Desert Group and later the Airborne forces. He survived (or we would never have met) but always on Remembrance Day he named as many of his friends as he could remember and saluted their memory.

On his behalf, I remember them now along with all others lost in wars, wherever and whatever the circumstances.

Eileen

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast