Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

By the way, the Frederick who was killed in the plane crash was my grandmother's brother (Freddy). His name was Federico Schumann Ramsden.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have traced the ancestry of our great grandfather all the way back to King Edward the III

Edward III
    13 November 1312
    21 June 1377

John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, Duke of Aquitaine (6 March 1340 – 3 February 1399) third son of King Edward III

Joan de Beaufort
    b 1379 - d 1440
    29 November 1396, daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster and his third wife, Katherine Swynford, and half-sister of Henry IV of England.

Richard Neville
    5th Earl of Salisbury, KG, PC (b. 1400 – 31 December 1460)

John Neville
    1st Marquess of Montagu, (c. 1431 – 14 April 1471)

Lucy Neville
    m Sir Anthony Browne.
    Lucy Neville was the Ancestor of President Franklin Roosevelt and Sir Winston Churchill.

Elizabeth Browne
    m. Henry Somerset

Lucy Somerset
    (d. 23 Feb 1583)
    Lady Latimer by marriage to John Neville
    b 1520 - d 22 Apr 1577
    4th Baron Latimer
    Of Snape Hall, Snape, Yorkshire, England – Lord Latimer
    Married: Lucy Somerset

Dorothy Neville (C. Exeter)
    B: 1548 - D: 23 Mar 1608
    London, England
    Buried: Westminster Abbey, London, England

Dorothy Cecil

William Alington
    1st Baron Alington of Killard
    b. 14 Mar 1610, d. c Oct 1648

Honourable Catherine Allington

Sir John Jacob
    3rd Baronet of West Wratting, Cambridgeshire
    d. 31st March 1740

Catherine Jacob

Lt Gen (Col) Sir Hildebrand Oakes Bart
    d. 1797

Lt. Gen. Sir Henry Oakes
    Esquire of Mitcham Hall, Surrey
    (1756-1827)

Sophia Harriett Oakes
    b 26 Feb 1807
    d 4 Oct 1880

Frederick Wollaston Ramsden Oakes
    Essex, England
    Married and died in Santiago de Cuba.
    b. 26 Jun 1839, d. 10 Aug 1898

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I found some info at https://www.bartleby.com/51/4.html. Way at the end under Note 3 you will find:

Note 3 The total Spanish force in Santiago under General Linares was 6,000: 4,000 regulars, 1,000 volunteers, and 1,000 marines and sailors from the ships. (Diary of the British Consul, Frederick W. Ramsden, entry of July 1st.) Four thousand more troops entered next day. Of the 6,000 troops, 600 or thereabouts were at El Caney, and 900 in the forts at the mouth of the harbor. Lieutenant Tejeiro states that there were 520 men at El Caney, 970 in the forts at the mouth of the harbor, and 3,000 in the lines, not counting the cavalry and civil guard which were in reserve. He certainly very much understates the Spanish force; thus he nowhere accounts for the engineers mentioned on p. 135; and his figures would make the total number of Spanish artillerymen but 32. He excludes the cavalry, the civil guard, and the marines which had been stationed at the Plaza del Toros; yet he later mentions that these marines were brought up, and their commander, Bustamente, severely wounded; he states that the cavalry advanced to cover the retreat of the infantry, and I myself saw the cavalry come forward, for the most part dismounted, when the Spaniards attempted a forward movement late in the afternoon, and we shot many of their horses; while later I saw and conversed with officers and men of the civil guard who had been wounded at the same time—this in connection with returning them their wives and children, after the latter had fled from the city. Although the engineers are excluded, Lieutenant Tejeiro mentions that their colonel, as well as the colonel of the artillery, was wounded. Four thousand five hundred is surely an understatement of the forces which resisted the attack of the forces under Wheeler. Lieutenant Tejeiro is very careless in his figures. Thus in one place he states that the position of San Juan was held by two companies comprising 250 soldiers. Later he says it was held by three companies, whose strength he puts at 300—thus making them average 100 instead of 125 men apiece. He then mentions another echelon of two companies, so situated as to cross their fire with the others. Doubtless the block-house and trenches at Fort San Juan proper were only held by three or four hundred men; they were taken by the Sixth and Sixteenth Infantry under Hawkins's immediate command; and they formed but one point in the line of hills, trenches, ranch-houses, and block-houses which the Spaniards held, and from which we drove them. When the city capitulated later, over 8,000 unwounded troops and over 16,000 rifles and carbines were surrendered; by that time the marines and sailors had of course gone, and the volunteers had disbanded.

Starting to feel at home

Hello
    It has been quite some time since I have checked this thread and it's nice to see some new posters.
    For jgred01, Frederick W Ramsden was appointed Her Majesty's consul on March 20 1888 but he had served as vice-consul for quite a few years prior to then. It was reported in the London Gazette on Friday, April 13, 1888.

For Ramsden2010, I would like to know as much as you can tell me about his daughters. I know Isabel was married twice and had children by Wilhelm Schumann but did she have any by Jennings Cox? And I have only snippets about Dora and Emma.

As far as the ancestors for the family, there are several lines to royalty including English, Welsh, Scots and French. The line you posted also goes back to Edward III through Joan Beaufort's brother John Beaufort. Would like to know whatever you can tell me about the siblings and their children.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi swisschick, are you still looking for records on the Brooks Company? I'm looking for some as well - happy to share what little I've got!

Also, could someone expand upon how the two Brooks girls were evacuated from Cuba? I assume you meant Anita and Margaret. Thank you!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Ricky, I have a lot of information and a relatively large amount of photographs regarding Isabel Ramsden, her daughter Lucy and her daughter Carmen Puig, and related family. I have a few gaps, so it would be great to chat. Thank you, Richard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234