dcheap

Default Coroner's reports for an accidental death

Hi

Hope someone has had experience of a similar situation and can advise.

If on a death certificate the informant is listed as the Manchester Coroner will that be an indication that further records are likely to exist (a Coroner's report?) and if so are these readily available, from where and by what means?

Any information would be greatly appreciated
    Regards
    dcheap

uksearch

Out of time....search the archives

UK

bwarnerok

I noticed that there were quite a few coroner's inquests in the Guardian. You might be lucky and find what you are looking for.

https://guardian.co.uk/archive

What's funny is that the coroner at the time that I keep reading about is the man I'm trying to research. So I tend to read all of the inquests which give me a bit of insight as to how the coroner "thought".

I assumed (oooh, bad word) that coroner's were very pathological then as they are today, spending lots of times staring through a magnifying glass for medical reasons.

Most of these inquests I'm reading about are not medically technical (ie: CSI), instead the coroner seems to spend his time in the courtroom to determine whether it was murder or "misadventure".

betsy

gdevhardy

Unhappy Robert Waude's coroners report

Hello again Dcheap it's Elaine here again. Long time eh! Phoned Manchester about coroners reports and was told the coroner has very kindly destroyed them all up untill about 1914! I went up to Manchester and looked at all the local old newspaper microfilms available from the time but there was no mention of his name anywhere. From this I assume he did not die in suspicious circumstances. It was very frustrating to know these reports had been destroyed. Happy hunting!

uksearch

See the link below:

https://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/sc...2&pageNumber=9

You best way forward is to search local newspapers.

UK

gdevhardy

Default coroners reports

Thanks uk search. Have searched local newspapers with no avail. Probably saw you in the library!

uksearch

I was the slim one with the grey beard.

UK

gdevhardy

Default Manchester Library

Yes I think I remember you. I think you gave us some help and you wer very kind. Thanks.