Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    8nicks

Default NICHOLS/NYCHOLLS - Sedgeberrow, Worcestershire

I am researching the Nicholls/Nichols/Nycholls and various other spellings who lived in Sedgeberrow, Worcestershire from early 1500's to about early 1600's.
    We believe that one (Sgt) Francis Nicholls, chr 25 May 1575 in Sedgeberrow, came to America and eventually settled in Stratford, Connecticut by 1630 and most likely is one of the same person.

Francis is the first born son of John and Joan Nicholls. To date we have not been able to find a passenger ship record proving that Francis indeed came from Sedgeberrow and sailed to America landing in Massachussetts and eventually to Stratford. Since Stratford-upon-Avon is very close to Sedgeberrow, the consensus among the descendants of Francis Nichols believe that this is the right Francis. Records seem to indicate that Stratford was named for its sister town in England

Is there any historical data in Worcestershire, the National Archives or elsewhere in England that would/might contain passenger records for people from either Worcestershire or Sedgeberrow. The Nicholls surname for Sedgeberrow ended in the mid 1600's although it reappears in this area much later in history.

We have disproven claims that Francis was related to Gov. Richard Nicolls, governor of New York. The genealogy for these two gentlemen just don't add up!

8nicks

mrsalip

Hi,
    My paternal gggrandfather was John Nichols Bailey, born 1810 Bodicote Oxfordshire. The family story is that his father was Mr Nichol(s), a solicitor from Stratford-upon-Avon. His mother, Sarah, was housekeeper to said solicitor and became pregnant by him. Mr Nichol(s) provoded for John and his mother Sarah Bayley (who never married) by giving her a farm in Bodicote Oxfordshire.
    We had drawn a blank on finding Mr Nichol(s) until last year I provided a DNA sample for my father for y-str testing.
    When matching DNA I got a match to several Nichols clan on Brian Hamman website, including a match with some possible descendants of Fancis Nichol of Sedgeberrow.

www.
    brian-hamman.com/ResultsForNicholsSurnameProject.htm

I have managed to contact some of the matches but not the possible Francis descendants.
    Please can we compare notes and perhaps we can help each other out?
    I live in UK and my parents still have a house near Stratford on Avon so I can visit record offices here.

BY the way the comment about Nicoll is interesting - I have much info about the Vicar of Bodicote DD Rev Richard NIcoll and his 3 sons, John, THomas and Charles Nicoll whic might help if we could colaborate.
    Cheers,
    Mrsalip
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 30-01-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: direct link to a site that solicits donations

8nicks

Hello Mr Salip,
    Thanks for your inquiry. Can you tell me just where Brian has placed your DNA results on his website? This will let me know how much input I can provide for you.

Regards,
    Rich Nichols

Richard1955

Hi 8nicks
    I live in Sedgeberrow although I am in London for a couple of days.
    If you have any addresses I can provide photos and when I return on Wednesday
    I will have a look around the churchyard for you.
    If there is anyway I can assist please let me know.

Richard

mrsalip

Hi,
    Sorry, I should have identified myself.
    I am the entry Mr Nichols 1810 Stratford upon Avon in the yellow section below your group ref DNAH-1.
    I have about 7 mismatches with your group and maybe that is not close enough to be linked.
    I am not very experienced in the dna detail to know if 7 mismatches is too many, but since Sedgeberrow is so close the Stratford, I thought it might be a possible link.
    I am in contact with the closer match George Nicholl ref DNAH-2, but so far that line only goes back to circa 1779 in India and so I have not connected to the Straford area.
    Hope this helps
    cheers
    Mrsalip

8nicks

Default Nichols of Sedgeberrow, Worcestershire

Quote Originally Posted by 8nicks View Post
    Hello Mr Salip,
    Thanks for your inquiry. Can you tell me just where Brian has placed your DNA results on his website? This will let me know how much input I can provide for you.

Regards,
    Rich Nichols
    Mrs Alip,
    I was able to see just where you placed on Brian's site. I have written Brian asking him just how close you may be related to the Nichols of Sedgeberrow. I will contact you again when I hear back from him. I too am not well versed in DNA but Brian is and it is my belief that we may have a common ancestor that goes back too many generations to be able to trace - I'm thinking a thousand years or more. I will wait till I hear from Brian and let you know for certain.

8 nicks

8nicks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1955 View Post
    Hi 8nicks
    I live in Sedgeberrow although I am in London for a couple of days.
    If you have any addresses I can provide photos and when I return on Wednesday
    I will have a look around the churchyard for you.
    If there is anyway I can assist please let me know.

Richard
    Hello Richard,

Thanks for the offer. The Nycholls/Nichols that we are interested in were baptized, married and buried in the Church of the Holy Virgin in Sedgeberrow. The time frame is from 1500 to about 1650 when it seems the Nichols line no longer appears. The burial list ranges from 1562 to 1644 (about 28 names). Would you prefer a list offline? Then there is a list of male Nichols that we are curious about that we know nothing more than a birth - a marriage but no death record and guess that they may have moved elsewhere. There are also some females who married about which we know nothing more than a birth and marriage. I am grateful for whatever help that you may want to provide.

We know that in the reign of 5th year of Elizabeth 1, that there were a total of seventeen families living in Sedgeberrow. What is it like today?

Again, most grateful for your interest and help.

Cheers,

Rich Nichols

Richard1955

Hi Rich
    Sedgeberrow is a small village on the edge of the Cotswolds. Population about 900 in 350 houses.
    One really good village shop and one excellent pub.
    I have only lived here for nearly three years and I'm sure it must have some historians. I shall find out.
    I will also take a walk around the churchyard tomorrow. See what I can find.
    No lists of names just yet. I'll let you know.

Richard

8nicks

Hello Richard,

That's just fine with me. I will appreciate whatever you can dig up - no pun intended!

Rich

mrsalip

Quote Originally Posted by 8nicks View Post
    Mrs Alip,
    I was able to see just where you placed on Brian's site. I have written Brian asking him just how close you may be related to the Nichols of Sedgeberrow. I will contact you again when I hear back from him. I too am not well versed in DNA but Brian is and it is my belief that we may have a common ancestor that goes back too many generations to be able to trace - I'm thinking a thousand years or more. I will wait till I hear from Brian and let you know for certain.

8 nicks
    HI, Thanks,I will wait for that reply, but if it is of interest, I have heard that the surname Nichols did not exist in the UK before 1066 when it came over from France wilth William I.
    The Rev Nicoll of Bodicote married into the Lord Saye and Sale family (married Miss Vere Wykeham) of Broughton Castle Oxfordshire, which also has french roots and came over with William I in 1066. Ranulph Fiennes documented these roots in his book last year. I would love to see a y-str dna test of one of the "Vere Nicoll" surnamed folk, who are direct descendants for the vicar of Bodicote DD Rev Richard Nicoll, through his son Rev Thomas Vere Nicoll of Cherington Warwickshire.
    Perhaps one day.
    Anyway, look forward to hearing from you
    THanks again
    Mrsalip

PS the Rev Nicoll and son wills are on the Oxfordshire Family History Website.
    Last edited by mrsalip; 05-02-2011 at 1:35 PM. Reason: ps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast