Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richard Miller

Default World War One British Army Lists 1914-1918

Hello Forum Members

Can any tell me if the World War One British Army Lists 1914-1918 can be searched on line and if so point me to the correct website?

Many thanks

Richard

irishmouse

Default Army List ww1

Hi
    I think the National Archives on line do a army list. Or at least you can look up anyone for ww1 and even down load a medal list for £3.50. Which hopefully will give you more info if you want to do more research.

Geoffers

If you mean 'The Army List' - some have been copied onto CD and can be purchased from various suppliers - try The Parish Chest
    https://www.parishchest.com/
    or adverts in various genealogical magazines.

As has already been mentioned, the campagin medal cards are available from documentsonline

See this link for news about pension records and how to search them
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/166.htm

See TNA's research guides for more information
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sindex.asp?j=1
    (scroll down to 'B' and look at links prefixed 'British Army')

The CWGC site has information on those who died.
    Geoffers

bwarnerok

Quote Originally Posted by irishmouse View Post
    Hi
    I think the National Archives on line do a army list. Or at least you can look up anyone for ww1 and even down load a medal list for £3.50. Which hopefully will give you more info if you want to do more research.
    I downloaded a medal card for one of my people and I'm not sure what it's saying. Lots of abbrev and scribbles and I'm not all that sure if I even have the right one.

On the other hand, I highly recommend getting discharge papers, they have been very helpful.

Of course I'm dealing with somebody who spent 26 years in the Grenadier Guards and never made it past Private. Surely, even if you weren't buying your rank, you could at least make it up one notch just on merit?

-b-

Anna

My grandfather spent 21 years in the 1st Hampshires. He left in 1911 (as a Sargeant) but enlisted again in 1914. I found his complete Army history on the 1914-1920 Army Pensions Records (he had a previous Pension from Long Service and a smaller Pension from being a soldier 1914-1917 but ended up being discharged as medically unfit)

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by bwarnerok View Post
    I downloaded a medal card for one of my people and I'm not sure what it's saying. Lots of abbrev and scribbles and I'm not all that sure if I even have the right one.

On the other hand, I highly recommend getting discharge papers, they have been very helpful.

Of course I'm dealing with somebody who spent 26 years in the Grenadier Guards and never made it past Private. Surely, even if you weren't buying your rank, you could at least make it up one notch just on merit?

-b-
    Where did you find the discharge papers. I find myself trying to traverse thru TNA. I downloaded a medal card and need a magnifying glass to read it. I followed the above mentioned links and couldn't find him. The Queen's Regiment. His name is Major Alexander Wells b.Kent, 1897 and I think he served in both wars. Died in 1946. But can't find death cert.

Vanessa

bwarnerok

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Where did you find the discharge papers. I find myself trying to traverse thru TNA. I downloaded a medal card and need a magnifying glass to read it. I followed the above mentioned links and couldn't find him. The Queen's Regiment. His name is Major Alexander Wells b.Kent, 1897 and I think he served in both wars. Died in 1946. But can't find death cert.

Vanessa
    I was searching in TNA. yes, I can get myself in the oddest places when I search in there, here's a bookmark I keep that seems to work the best for me. If I'm looking for a will, I just put the word -- will -- after their name. I seem to have as much luck, if not more than browsing and ticking boxes. I'm sure someone here as a very technical and high tech way of maneuvering through TNA.. I just hold my breath and peck. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/
    However, the discharge papers I have found in both of my cases were also upon their release from the royal chelsea hospital. (one had a broken wrist, the other had a cough). The timeline also was different from yours. One was in 1841, the other in 1919. But the papers show their enlistment and where they say they were born and what their occupation was when they enlisted. Sadly the discharge didn't tell me spouses, children or much of anything other than why they got out. Also mentions their military/reg history and commanders.
    Good luck,
    betsy

Terry Waters-Marsh

Default Many reasons

Quote Originally Posted by bwarnerok View Post
    <snip>Of course I'm dealing with somebody who spent 26 years in the Grenadier Guards and never made it past Private. Surely, even if you weren't buying your rank, you could at least make it up one notch just on merit?
    Dear Betsy,

There may be many reasons why your ancestor never advanced in the ranks. One common reason was drunkeness, an endemic problem in the army, particularly in garrison and peacetime duties. If you can find his army record, the charges for drunkenesss will show up in his defaulters notations.

Another reason was many soldiers actually avoided advancement, prefering the simple life of being bossed about by others. No thinking, no responsibility, no hassles. You will still find the odd one or two soldiers like that in today's army although they are a lot more rare than in the past.

A third reason may have been physical stature. Small, thin-chested, bow-legged and/or chronically ill soldiers rarely advanced. Again, his attestation or discharge papers would identify physical weaknesses.

Lastly, many soldiers engaged in 'passive resistance' to avoid attention and/or bother by NCOs and Warrant Officers. While it allowed them an easier life, it pretty well excluded them from being recommended for advancement.

There are many more possible reasons - it will be interestring to hear what you find out.

bwarnerok

Samuel Postance, born Astley near Bewdley, Worcestershire, was a member of the Grenadier Guards of which I understood were taller than most. (His papers said he was 5'8-1/2")
    He joined the army (a labourer by profession) on 2 May 1815 in Gosbrooke, Staffordshire, and was discharged on 3 September 1836 after having served 21 years and 125 days in the Grenadier Regiment of the Foot Guards. His commander was the Duke of Wellington. There is no mention of Ireland, but the records show that he served "at home". In those 21 years and 125 days he made it to Private!!! He was discharged before a Board in London and was found unable to preform his duties because of cough and rheumatism which had become worse since the last winter. Probably standing in front of the Palace had something to do with that. (That's my dad's excuse) The report says he was of good character and trustworthy. Apparently his health was not very good and his discharge was for medical reasons as one of the papers mentions that he was examined by the regimental surgeon. He and his wife and kids moved to ireland, had a few more kids, moved to Doon, moved to Cork and died in 1848 and left the family destitute. Haven't a clue who his parents are, or any siblings (his wife is also a mystery - Katherine mcInerney of Cork). He's very much still a mystery.

Betsy

bwarnerok

Born in Astley near Bewdley? There are Postances in that area but nothing that matches up with my guy (although lying about one's age is certainly a possibility).
    We thought perhaps his reg had been sent to Ireland and that's where he met up with the Irish girl. No marriage in any of the army records, or overseas for him. Of his son who emigrated from Ireland 1859, son-in-law in the US said, "He (son of Samuel) was apprenticed in Cork and never had enough to eat or a decent suit of clothes. Something like a Dickens character he said."
    I have not found where the Grenadier Guards ever went to Ireland bet 1815-1834. There is a Samuel Postance in Deans' Gate, London in 1841 which if I squint my eyes and tilt my head to the right and shake it all about, I can guess this "might" be my guy. But it says his wife's name is Ann and the oldest child just doesn't match up. (the indexing on ancestry didn't find this, but the one on britorigins.)
    A rabid cousin multi-times removed, went to ireland to try and track this bunch. he hired somebody who has turned up birth & marriage records for some of the kids but nothing on him or his wife other than her death cert abt 1870. Wherever it was then ended in Cork, the son's apprenticing job walked him right by the Bells of Shandon each day.
    -b-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast