r-careys

Post Mr Thomas Drew(e)ry

Thomas Drew(e)ry believed to have been pottery manufacturer in Lane End Circa mid 1820's
    Any information appreciated.
    Or point me in the right direction to find the info myself, books etc to read.
    Anything I can access from Australia.

EDIT: Anyone who has a Drew(e)ry piece I would love a photo....Please
    Last edited by r-careys; 24-10-2007 at 9:56 AM. Reason: additional request

hughar

The firm appears in contemporary directories under several names. It is listed:
    (1) as 'Drewry, Thomas, & Son, Daisy Bank, Lane End, Earthenware manufacturer,' in the 1818 Parsons directory,
    (2) as 'Drewry, Thomas, & Son, Daisy Bank, Lane End, China manufacturer,' in the 1822 Pigot's directory..
    (3) as 'Drewry & Son, Daisy Bank, Lane End, China and Earthenware manufacturers,' in the 1822 Allbut directory.
    (4) as 'Drewry, Thomas, Daisy Bank, Lane End, China manufacturer.' in the 1828 and 1830 Pigot's directory.
    Information from 'Staffordshire Potters 1781-1900' by R.K.Henrywood, which includes a picture of the Drewry & Son mark on a piece of blue-printed china.
    Send me a PM if you want more info on the book or the directories.

r-careys

Thank you very much for that.
    I don't suppose there is a name to the "son" in any of that information?
    That info is a great start, I'm going to google daisy bank and see what I get.

Do you have the Henrywood book? I would love a picture.
    Does the book give the piece a title or name that I can look for?

Once again
    Many Thanks

hughar

Unfortunately no name for the 'son'.

Googling Daisy Bank will get you pictures of a large hole, and info on various other firms - Masons, Adderleys, Ridgways, etc, - who later used the same pottery, but nothing I can see on Drewry.

Yes, I have the book. The picture is just of the mark, with no details of the piece itself. The chance of finding a Drewry piece is slim. I've collected Staffordshire pottery for over 30 years, and don't recall ever seeing a piece by them.

More by email.

achilles1626

Default drewry cups and saucers

Quote Originally Posted by r-careys View Post
    Thomas Drew(e)ry believed to have been pottery manufacturer in Lane End Circa mid 1820's
    Any information appreciated.
    Or point me in the right direction to find the info myself, books etc to read.
    Anything I can access from Australia.

EDIT: Anyone who has a Drew(e)ry piece I would love a photo....Please
    I have two Drewry cups and matching saucers. I believe them to be authentic.

Procat

Hello achilles1626,

Thank you for posting your reply. Unfortunately r-careys is no longer a member of the forum ans is unlikely to see it.

r-careys

I know it has been a long time but I would love a picture please if you are still around the site.