Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sjgolding
    Would you happen to have anything of Edward James Golding. He was serving onboard HMS Albacore when he married in 1915.
    He may, however, be listed as Edward James Brigden...he was base-born, and didn't take his father's name until a few years before he married.
    No trace in Aug 1914 - what rank was he when he married?

Geoffers

Gareth Thomas

Default Master-At-Arms

Can i just point out that Master-At-Arms are mainly Chief Petty Officers that can carry a sword. Being in charge of Queens regulations and lets say in charge of the brig, they were allowed to carry a ceremonial sword just like Warrant officers were.

Chief Petty Officers or CPOs are one rank below Warrant Officer.

Petty Officers or POs are one rank below CPO

Regards
    Gareth Thomas

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Thomas
    Can i just point out that Master-At-Arms are mainly Chief Petty Officers that can carry a sword.
    Yes, fari enough, but although the person mentioned may have been a Master-at-Arms in 1917, they may not have been promoted that far in 1914.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Thomas
    Chief Petty Officers or CPOs are one rank below Warrant Officer.
    As CPOs are Warrant Officers, I think you meant to say that they are one below Commissioned Officers.

Geoffers

Gareth Thomas

The Non-Commisioned Officer ranks goes as follows:

Petty Officer - PO
    Chief Petty Officer - CPO
    Warrant Officer 2nd Class - WO2 (replaced Charge Chief)
    Warrant Officer 1st Class - WO1

Regards
    Gareth

mcridbenen

Hi Geoffers
    Is there any mention of the name McMenemy

Regards
    Carol

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by mcridbenen
    Hi Geoffers
    Is there any mention of the name McMenemy
    Regards
    Carol
    Not in the Active or Reserve list

Geoffers

Sharon

Default Edwin Opie

Is there any mention of Edwin OPIE could be OPPY. He fought in the first WW and was called back up for the second. Thank you
    Sharon

AnnB

Hello Geoffers

Don't suppose there is any mention of the name Miell? As you may have seen on the Mariners' thread, I am trying to track down the person in the photo, who appears to be a Master at Arms. He is one of my grandmother's brothers, but I don't know which one
    Although the brothers worked for the Union Castle Line, they may well have been in the Navy during WW1.

Many thankks
    Ann

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by AnnB
    Don't suppose there is any mention of the name Miell? As you may have seen on the Mariners' thread, I am trying to track down the person in the photo, who appears to be a Master at Arms.
    Sorry Ann, no trace of MIELL in active or reserve list. I've posted a couple of messages giving details of where to find Seamen's cards and pouches. If you haven't already, search TNA's catalogue https://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp
    enter the surname in the first field 'word or phrase' and in the last field, 'department or series code' enter BT372 - you'll get a couple of hits, are they of any use? You can order these documents online.

Geoffers

AnnB

Thanks for that Geoffers, I really didn't hold out any hope
    Yes, I have seen TNA's catalogue and the Miell entries in BT372 - in fact I don't think there are many places where I haven't searched for the name Miell. I recently got some info from the Index to the Register of Seamen at Southampton Archives, but the entries from that register which would have been really useful were probably amongst the ones destroyed in the '60's

Thanks again
    Ann

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast