Roni

Smile JOHN SUTHERLAND - WATTEN STATION CAITHNESS

Hello from South Africa. I am interested in finding out more about my great grandfather JOHN SUTHERLAND who lived and worked at Watten Station during the 1870's, and who was married to MARJORY DUNBAR. Marjory died there and he later emigrated to Cape Town, South Africa were he worked for the South African Railways building the railway to the North. He was born in Golspie and grew up at Lairg, Sutherland, Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Peep View Post
    Just an idea but Sue Mackay may be the lass to offer some help with this. Come on, Sue. You didn't have anything else to do, did you?
    Yes, I'm in the middle of planning my trip to South Africa

If you go to https://www.caithness.org/atoz/watten/index.htm there is a picture of Watten station house.

I suggest you also put a query on the Caithness and Sutherland forums. There was a post on the Caithness forum the other day with a lovely map of the Watten area.

Do you have them on the census? I have limited access to the Scottish census (indexes but not images) but would need to know his approximate date of birth.

PS Watten was on the Highland Railway and I would imagine that any staff records would be at the Scottish Record Office in Edinburgh

For Golspie and Sutherland I suugest you visit https://www.countysutherland.co.uk/
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 18-10-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: PS
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Roni

Default JOHN SUTHERLAND - WATTEN STATION

Hi there, thanks for your replies. I have the map of Watten which was posted by Fred on the Caithness website thanks.

According to the IGI my JOHN SUTHERLAND was born on 29 August 1847 at Golspie, Sutherland. He came to SA around 1880 and by then had remarried after his wife MARJORY DUNBAR of Latheron (Forse Dunbars) had died. They lived at Watten Station where he was listed on her death certificate as being a platelayer at the time. He subsequently married her younger sister WILLIAMINA DUNBAR and they emmigrated to South Africa. He later returned to Scotland and died somewhere in Sutherland, possibly Lairg as his parents are buried there. Williamina remained in SA and is buried in Pretoria. Where in SA are you planning to visit? Perhaps I can give you some pointers if you require them. Roni

I'm doing my second visit to the Eastern Cape to follow up my 1820 settler roots.

According to the 1851 census index (don't have access to the actual image), your John was living in Main Street, Golspie.
    Alexander SUTHERLAND 35 Mason journeyman b Rogart
    Jane SUTHERLAND 29 b Loth
    John SUTHERLAND 3 b Golspie
    Hugh SUTHERLAND 1 b Golspie

You should be able to find a photo of Alexander and Jane's grave in Lairg at
    https://www.countysutherland.co.uk/
    Sue Mackay

Roni

Thank you Sue. So pleased to get the information about my ggg grandfather John Sutherland living on Main Street, Golspie. I was there in 2002 and if only I had known then! Does the 1851 census state whether he was married to Margaret Macrae and what his occupation was? The information regarding Alexander fits in with what I have.

I am also a lineal descendant of some 1820 Settlers also on my Dad's side through his mother. I am not sure whether you are aware that if you can prove your connection to the 1820 Settlers you will be entitled to a certificate stating such.

Roni
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Roni View Post
    Does the 1851 census state whether he was married to Margaret Macrae and what his occupation was?
    I'm a bit confused
    Who was supposed to be married to Margaret Macrae?

I am not sure whether you are aware that if you can prove your connection to the 1820 Settlers you will be entitled to a certificate stating such.
    It's hanging on the study wall!
    Sue Mackay

Roni

Question JOHN SUTHERLAND- WATTEN STATION

Alexander Sutherland's father John Sutherland who lived on Main Street Golspie was married to Margaret Macrae.

Roni, I suggest you start a new thread on the Sutherland forum, where people in Scotland with access to the actual census might be likely to read it. Ancestry only has the index, not the images, so it is very difficult to be sure you have the right John Sutherland without date and place of birth, and I can't just scroll through the rest of the village.
    Sue Mackay

Roni

Thanks, will do. Sorry for the confusion - my ancestors were all named John Sutherland with the exception of Alexander Sutherland.
    Enjoy your trip to the Eastern Cape. Roni