DuckDodgers

Default The Hall, Stanwell Middlesex

Hi all,
    I'm researching the origins of my Grandfather, on his birth certificate his place of birth is givern as The Hall, London Road, Stanwell. His mothers place of residence is also the same address. A google search yeilds no helpful results. One possible site could be the Staines Union Workhouse, now Ashford hospital. So if anyone has any info on this I would be grateful.

Thanks

Ian P.

Reputation beyond repute

As you say, probably the workhouse.

When was he born? Apparently the records of births at Staines Union workhouse 1848-1943 survive but are filed as part of the archive of Ashford Hospital. That should make it easy to check providing he wasn't born before 1848.

hughar

A Google search for "Hall London Road Stanwell" (with the quotes) will lead you to a thread on a Rootsweb board that reached the same conclusion in 2006 about a different person.

DuckDodgers

Thanks for the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    As you say, probably the workhouse.

When was he born? Apparently the records of births at Staines Union workhouse 1848-1943 survive but are filed as part of the archive of Ashford Hospital. That should make it easy to check providing he wasn't born before 1848.
    He was born in 1908, but I still can't find any link between "The Hall" and the Workhouse. Maybe its a euphemism. Do you know what the records would come under on the City of London site, because I do plan to visit the LMA soon.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corpo...SearchForm.asp

Quote Originally Posted by hughar View Post
    A Google search for "Hall London Road Stanwell" (with the quotes) will lead you to a thread on a Rootsweb board that reached the same conclusion in 2006 about a different person.
    I've found this one before, thats where I got the idea from. They are basically searching for the same info, but just the same as me they've got no answers.

The Ashford Hospital website has an interesting page, detailing the history of the site.

https://www.ashfordstpeters.nhs.uk/in...stor/index.htm

Thanks again

Ian P.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DuckDodgers View Post
    He was born in 1908, but I still can't find any link between "The Hall" and the Workhouse. Maybe its a euphemism. Do you know what the records would come under on the City of London site, because I do plan to visit the LMA soon.
    Have a look in A2A using a search term of "Ashford Hospital".

Reference: HL/S/ASH/01/002
    Headings: Date of birth, sex, name of parents or mother, from what parish parent admitted, when and where baptized, in what name baptized, Remarks. Not indexed
    Creation dates: 20 Nov 1882-27 Jan 1914
    Access Conditions
    CLOSED UNTIL 2015

"Closed" of course means closed for browsing. It doesn't mean that you can't get an answer to your question. You can invoke FoI if necessary but LMA know the score.

Bear in mind their impending closure.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DuckDodgers View Post
    Maybe its a euphemism.
    Yes indeed. Registrars were asked not to record people as having been born or having died in the workhouse but to use some suitable euphemism.

for example -
    Twyford Lodge (Willesden Workhouse)
    4 Kings Road (St. Pancras Workhouse)
    The Lodge,Bancroft Road (Mile End Workhouse)

DuckDodgers

Thanks for replies and the info.

Another question has come to mind, if it turns out my grandfather was born in the workhouse would he have been baptised there or would that have been done in a local church.

Thanks

Ian P.

Chapman

I have a death cert. dated Oct.26 1923,of a relative who died there, I am also trying to find out was The Hall a Hospital, workhouse etc, appreciate any info. Thanks Liz

Reputation beyond repute

I am also trying to find out was The Hall a Hospital, workhouse etc
    As discussed in this thread, the consensus is that The Hall was what is now Ashford Hospital.

The Hospital Records Database list its various names over the years and the locations of surviving records.