revdfg

Default The Hallams of East Leake

I am interested in the forebears of Thomas Hallam born in East Leake about 1806.

I believe (with help from members of the Leicestershire board for which I am grateful) that he married twice - first Sarah Mansfield on 24th Oct at St Mary Nottingham, and second Sarah Cooper of Loughborough in June 1839 in Leicester district. He fathered two children with the first Sarah, and a further 6 with the second Sarah. It appears that the first Sarah died shorly after the birth of her second child in 1837.

I suspect that Thomas was the son of Thomas Hallam and Mary Marshall who married in East Leake on 5th May 1806, Mary probably already pregnant with Thomas who was possibly born on 20 Oct 1806 in East Leake and Baptised in Costock on 22 October 1806.

I would be very happy to hear from any descendants of this Hallam family or from anyone who can substantiate what I have conjectured so far.

I am particularly keen to find the births of Thomas Hallam (senior) and Mary Marshall. On the assumption that they would be say 20 at their marriage I have looked on IGI for births about 1786. I have drawn a blank on Mary for East Leake but found a baptism 2 May 1766 in West Leake. This would make her 40 at her marriage - possible.

Looking for Thomas Hallam in the range 1760 to 1780 I find
    THOMAS HALLAM - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 25 OCT 1772 East Leake, Nottingham, England
    THOMAS HALLAM - International Genealogical Index
    Gender: Male Christening: 23 OCT 1780 East Leake, Nottingham, England
    and lots more in nearby villages, Ruddington, Clifton, Gotham etc

Anyone got any info on these East Leake Hallam? All help gratefully received.

David

jeeb

Default Hallam of East Leake.

Hi David,
    The 1841 census has Thomas & Mary Hallam living in East Leake. Their ages are both given as 65 which would make them born between 1771-1776. They were both born in county. Thomas was a butcher.There is another Mary Hallam also in East Leake aged 55.
    There are also two Thomas Hallam's living in East Leake with an age of 30 in 1841 but neither are with a Sarah. I cannot find Thomas Hallam with Sarah in 1841 in Nottingham nor Leicestershire even though he married Sarah Cooper in 1839. In 1851 there is a 13 year old Sarah, daughter, with them. It seems strange there are no more children born until 1845 unless some died. Was Sarah a daughter of the first or second marriage and what happened to the other child of the first marriage?

Have you sent for the marriage certificate of Thomas & Sarah Cooper? I assume you have the ref. It would be interesting to see if his father is definitely a Thomas and his occupation a Butcher.

Jeremy