ET in the USA

Default Need help with Cleobury Mortimer

I have heard that " The Talbot Hotel in Cleobury Mortimer was owned by a Mr. THOULD sometime during 1940 - 1960's".
    I am having trouble figuring out where to look for more information, such as Trade Directories, Deeds, etc. that would have his first name or even first initial so I can figure out who it was.

Currently, the address of the hotel is 29 High Street, Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire, but was it always in Shropshire or was it once in Worcestershire?

I haven't been able to find that either record office has directories for this town or this time period.

Any help appreciated.

I am in Bothell, WA USA, so can't just drive over and look.

MJHulme

Default Need help with Cleobury Mortimer

Hello ET

I have a 1941 edition of Kelly's Directory of Shropshire which lists:-

"Talbot Hotel (Regnld. Garrod-Thould, propr.), High St, TN 205"

Just to clear up any doubt I think that should be read as:-

Talbot Hotel (Reginald Garrod-Thould, proprietor), High Street, Tel.No: 205

Whilst letters addressed to Cleobury Mortimer go via Worcestershire the town has always been in Shropshire so most archives will be in the Shropshire Archives at Shrewsbury.

You might like to have a look at the Cleobury Mortimer Historical Society web site.

Mike
    Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2007 at 5:19 PM.

ET in the USA

Thanks to you both. Don't know why it confused me so, except that most THOULD sources are in Worcestershire and this was very close, so maybe it was too. ???
    I will check out the suggestions.
    ET