Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    irishmouse

Talking bow bells

Hi
    My grand was born in Greenwich in 1899 and always told my mum that she was a true cockney as was within hearing distance of the bow bells!

Jacquie

Mutley

Sorry Jacquie,
    I don't fink so Take a look here:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...1855&z=13&om=1

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I don't fink so
    Nor do I. And apart from the distance there's that strange phenomenon meaning the sound of bells can't cross the river

Jo from Australia

Default Loud and Proud!

I love this thread as all of my ancestors (me being the first generation not born in East London- or the UK at all) are true Cockneys! Nothing gives me a warmer glow in the heart than the memories of our wonderful Australian Christmas parties when all the older relatives were still alive listening to them talking in the strong accent, slang and oh! the fabulous songs they would all sing!

As a child (being non the wiser) my favourite song was "wouldnt it be luverly" -my mum use to sing it to me!

My mum and dads accents are not so strong these days and when querrying my mum about slang she told me that my grandmother would have boxed her ears in if she was caught not using proper english...but oh boy does that same grandmother regress when she get emotional. I loved hearing when her and my grandfarver would disagree. We all called my grandfather "farv". Being "Respectable poor" was very important to my grandparents!

I am proud of those times when I instinctively drop the odd slang, or pronounciation...happens more when i drink Guinness for some reason! ;o)

Jo

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Jo from Australia View Post
    I love this thread. Jo
    Oh Jo, you made me think back.

I have a memory, as a child, of my nan and her sister with their dresses tucked in their bloomers on the way home from the pub. They were singing (obviously) "Show me the way to go home".

My mum being a 'proper Irish lady' saying to my dad, "do something about them Charlie" and me poor ole farver shrugging. To this day, I remember the look on his face, he dare not do anything, tough Cockney that he was, faced with his muvver an auntie Martha!!!!

I also remember the parties with the ole joanna dragged out into the street, my uncle George was a "you hum it an I'll play it luv" and he did too, spoons, piano, accordion - he knocked out the tune.

Nobody had much in those days, times were hard, the simple things gave them pleasure where they could find it.......

My lot are long gone, I wish there was someone I could chat with, make the most if it......

Jo from Australia

After reading this thread I rang my mum and told 'er about what I 'ad been reading about. She laughed and said "yes well I was born during the war when there were no bells so I am not true Cockney" this being the 9th generation born in Rovahivfe (Rotherhithe). I asked whether dad considered himself cockney and she gasped "Oh no! He was born in Lambeth luv...the bells dont ring that side of the river!" I nearly died laughing!

the funny thing was that mum just this week decided to make one of her famous teddy bears into a 'pearly king' and was going to give it to me as a christmas present! Wonderful!

So I will bid you goodnight with the tune of 'Knees up muva brown' playing in my head and memories of my farv singing "Right said Fred" whilst wearing a singlet shirt, a hankie on his head and rolled up trousers!

There are times that I wish I were older...I am the second youngest grandchild born so the memories are small and distant. Boy do i hold on to them tightly though.

Jo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12