Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excise Officer

hyatt

Default Excise Officer

Hi
    I have a ggg grandfather James Spring mentioned as an "excise officer" from Galway on his daughter mary Ball nee spring's death cert....any ideas where I could find some info on this .

Also a ggg grandfather george Marriott mentioned as customs officer in 1841-1871 slightly different wording in each census. living in stepney middlesex, he was retired super? from 1851....any ideas where to look for info on him.

great idea a forum on professions
    I have a rellie who was a "ratcatcher" in Ashwell hertford any plans to start a new thread on this profession.

Mutley

Try searching BG Forums for rat catchers they already have loads of information
    Eg.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...hlight=catcher

suedent

Have you checked this sticky - loads of useful links for those with Coastguards in their tree

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=21192

This site is particularly good for coastguards that served in Ireland

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org/news.php

busyglen

You might get some more information from this site as it tells you what sort of records are available at the National Archives etc.

https://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKCustoms.html

Glenys

janbooth

Default Ashwell, Hertfordshire

I have a lot of sources for Ashwell as my grandmother's family came from there. If you need any info. on your rat catcher do let me know and I will see if I can help in any way.

Janet

busyglen

I forgot to add that the Super...that you found meant that he was Superannuated ie. he received a pension.

Glenys

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by hyatt View Post
    I have a rellie who was a "ratcatcher" in Ashwell hertford any plans to start a new thread on this profession.
    What is it with Hertfordshire? About 20 years ago I interviewed a chap who was a mole-catcher. He tried to tell me that he was unable to find work as he'd caught them all...

robertg

Default Marriott, Excise Officer

I do not know if it is Excise officers or Molecatchers. Excise officer named Marriott, I have one who might be related. Thomas Marriott chr09Jun 1820 in Amington Staffs, Thomas became a Customs Officer and moved about with the service. He married in Middlesex had children in Somerset and Bromley by Bow. He retired and on the 1881 census he is shown as Supervisor Inland Revenue ( C S Officer )

justlez

Wink

sueannbowen & waitabit kindly found some information on my GGGrandfather (Edward) and it seems as though he was a 'Riding Vicar of Customs' although it stated on my GGrandfathers marriage lines that he (Edward) was a Mariner.

I have searched on Google for a Riding Vicar of Customs but could not find any reference that clarifies so I'll just assume that he was a Customs Officer.

Is a 'Coast Guard the same as a Customs Officer ?

Perhaps I'll take a look on these sites too.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by justlez View Post
    sueannbowen & waitabit kindly found some information on my GGGrandfather (Edward) and it seems as though he was a 'Riding Vicar of Customs' although it stated on my GGrandfathers marriage lines that he (Edward) was a Mariner.

I have searched on Google for a Riding Vicar of Customs but could not find any reference that clarifies so I'll just assume that he was a Customs Officer.

Is a 'Coast Guard the same as a Customs Officer ?

Perhaps I'll take a look on these sites too.
    A Coast Guard, in the earlier days was someone who did what it says...guarded the coast against smugglers, and tried to catch them before they could unload their `booty'. A Customs Officer was also after smugglers, but their job was to make sure that the revenue was paid on all articles coming into the country. Anything that was caught arriving into the country illegally was confiscated.

Hope that helps a little.

Glenys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast