Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Starting to feel at home

https://www.
    stortfordhistory.co.uk/thorley/thorley_street.html

flowerpotmum

Default Visit to Fish Sawbridgeworth

Hi Fish Seekers
    I am spending a day in Sawbridgeworth beginning of May, to visit an aged Fish relative and find some of the places associated with my Fish ancestors. I would be happy to take photos of any buildings associated with your Fishes in Sawbridgeworth that may be of interest to you while I am there. Send me a private message with the address/details and I'll see what I can do.
    Flowerpotmum

Clive Blackaby

Quote Originally Posted by WendyS View Post
    What is most frustrating for me is that I don't know the surrounding parishes to work my way around, the boundaries of Essex, Hert, Middlesex etc, and the limit on what records are available to look at for free.
    You might find Parloc software useful - it allows you to find a parish, and then list all parishes withing a chosen radius, as well as telling you the distance between two chosen parishes

You can download it free from www.
    parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Starting to feel at home

Downloaded it but can't work out how to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Blackaby View Post
    You might find Parloc software useful - it allows you to find a parish, and then list all parishes withing a chosen radius, as well as telling you the distance between two chosen parishes

You can download it free from www.
    parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

WendyS

Yes, it looks potentially helpful, but rather messy to work around. I read the manual, but still rather complicated. I did eventually get some neighbouring names, but I think more from pot luck. I guess it's just keep trying until we get used to how it works.

Clive Blackaby

Default Parloc

It's a fairly unsophisticated progam that has a gazeteer that you can search in a number of ways.

I'll give you a quick example.

At the top of the form, you have a yellow box "Enter search string here". Let's say you are looking at Sawbridgeworth:

Type sawb in the box, and click on "Find First".

Sawbridgeworth will be highlighted in blue, and you can see that it is a Parish (P) in Hertfortshire (HRT) England (ENG)
    Its OS map coordinates are TL4815, 548E, 215N

Click "Select 1st Parish" to move Sawbridgeworth to the 1st parish boxes.

You could now type another parish - let's say you type stanst and click "Find First".

You'll see several possibles - we want Stanstead Abbotts, so click on "Find Next" twice so it is highlighted in Blue

Now click "Select 2nd Parish", and then "Calculate Distance and direction" and you'll see where Stanstead Abbots is in relation to Sawbridgeworth - distance and direction.
    (This is probably easier to do on Google Maps with two obvious villages, but less so for Parishes within larger settlements, or where you have a choice of several similarly named parishes)

But here's the bit you are looking for:

Type 7 in the yellow "Radius around parish" box (That's in miles, and must be a whole number, not 6.1)
    Now click on "Parishes within Radius" - you will get a list of all parishes within 7 miles of Sawbridgeworth.

You can copy the list to a file, print it out, or even plot them on a simple diagram (Click "Plot")

There are other things you can do once you've got the hang of it - there's an on-line manual that lists them all - select "Manual" from the top menu.

Hope this helps

Clive Blackaby

Once you have your list of parishes, try using Hugh Wallis's site to see which parish registers have been transcribed by the LDS. This is arranged by County (HRT = Hertfordshire - there's a list of these standard codes included in Parloc)

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....m/~hughwallis/

Once you've found a parish register, you can search it direct from HW's site, and you will get ONLY the records on IGI which come from transcriptions of that register, cutting out all the things from other sources which are less consistent and reliable

veldsmw

Hi
    We are trying to make sense of all the FISH families in the world.
    Jamie Fish has had more than 40 families do their DNA tests so far. The results has been able to connect families that otherwise would not be possible to connect.
    The DNA study so far is mostly on USA families with some connections to England.

We need to extend the study to include a lot more English Fish families and Scottish, Welsh and Irish Fish families.

Would you please consider joining our FISH FAMILY DNA Project. My Fish family comes form Berkshire England 1700 and our DNA tests and results are already completed.

Please see Jamie Fish’s DNA website and see how you can contribute.
    https://www.
    familytreedna.com/public/fish/default.aspx

We will be most excited to have you as part of our study.
    All you need is a male FISH family member so we can do the YDNA test.

By participating in our study, you might be very pleasantly surprised by the results, which can help you narrow down where your family comes from and what other Fish family branches you connect with. The connected Fish families might help you break your brick wall as well, so lots of benefits for joining our study.

Thanks
    Walter in London, England

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I have just started to help my husband look into his Fish family from Hertfordshire. His gg grandfather was Thomas Fish b 1838 in Sawbridgeworth and Thomas' descendants had moved to Stanstead Abbots by the early 1900s.

We would love to hear from anyone who has links with this family

Kind regards

Sylvia
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 27-08-2011 at 3:17 PM. Reason: direct link to site requesting donations - please read our Terms of Service

Eanswythe

Hello Sylvia,

I wonder from the date of your post if you are still looking for Fish and Ship families, or whether you have now got everything sorted out? I'm no Fish expert, but I have a large collection of Ship(p)s which is one of my direct lines.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123