Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    flowerpotmum

Hi Sylvia
    I have just joined BG and noticed your posts, as I think I am directly related to your husbands family of Fish. My Grandmother Annie E Fish was born in Ware 1892, Her father was Arthur Fish, mother Elizabeth Bird. His father was Charles fish, mother Martha Morris, and I think his father was John Fish married Ann. So Mary John Henry Thomas George and James are all siblings of my great grandfather. I would be extremely grateful if you could let me have any further information going backwards or sideways, as I cant find any parish records for the county on the genealogy website I have been using, and I'm not very computer literate. Which one was your husbands ancestor?

Valued member of Brit-Gen.

Hi Flowerpotmum

Welcome to Brit-Gen

If you need info on Hertfordshire families try

Hertsdirect.org (www in front)
    Then choose
    libraries and leisure - then heritage, then Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

this gives information for HALS and its collections and records including

Hertfordshire names online – which has details of a few “fish” marriages.

Another good site for help with Herts ancestors and locations that I have found useful is:-
    Hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk(www)

Hope you might find something interesting there.

Good luck with your “fishing”

Lesley

WendyS

Hi All.
    I was quite excited to find this thread when googling for Hertfordshire Fish names.
    After reading through the posts, I was also excited to find some names which I have in my tree also.
    My grandmother Elsie Fish was the last in that direct line of Fish.
    I have been having a wonderful (but exhausting) time scanning the Essex parish records and sighting the entries for many of my ancestors, but knowing that many went to, or came from Hertfordshire (from information from other Fish researchers), I can't find anything online to help me. Living in Australia is of little help going to libraries or the archives, and the LDS records have been exhausted.
    Some information about my closer Fish relatives, in the hope someone here can tie them in with their records...
    My grandmother Elsie Fish (1912 - 1992), married George Taylor (1911 - 1974) in Islington.
    Her father was Albert Fish (1882 - 1913), and mother Eliza Smith (1880 - 1929).
    They also had another daughter Beatrice, who died in infancy (1910 - 1911).
    Albert's parents were William Fish (1846 - C1890) and Mary Godfrey (Cambridgeshire 1842 - ?)
    All of these ancestors lived in the Enfield/Bethnal Green/Hackney area.
    Is there any parish records available to look through online, similar to the Essex original images?
    Many thanks in advance, Wendy.

flowerpotmum

Default Fish and Shipps in Herts, Morris & Bird

Hi Wendy. My grandmother was Annie Eveline Fish b. 1892 married Eustace Vivian Walden in 1920. Her Fish siblings were Herbert, Arthur, Earnest, Alfred, Frederick, all born in Sawbridgeworth, and also Leonard, Ida, Florence, Edward, Claude, & Gladys born in Ware Herts. All born between 1883 and 1906. Their parents were Arthur Fish b. 1862 in Sawbridgeworth and Elizabeth Ann Bird b.1863 in Dunmow. His Fish siblings were Henry, Helena (Ellen), Josiah, Caroline, Walter, William, and John, all born between 1857 and 1875 in Sawbridgeworth. His father was Charles Fish. In 1855 he married Martha Morris b. 1832, and his siblings were Mary John Henry Thomas George and James all born between 1828 and 1845. Their parents were John Fish born in Thorley Herts. around 1806 and Ann Shipp born 23 April 1806 in Little Hadham Herts. Johns parents were possibly Richard Fish & wife Mary. I have not yet found any Fish relatives outside Herts. Ann Shipps parents may have been William and Mary. I haven't tried to find any parish records yet, but I will go back to Fish and Shipps, Morris and Bird when I have got back further with my research down other branches of the family.
    Please do let me know if you find any link!!

Quote Originally Posted by WendyS View Post
    Hi All.
    I was quite excited to find this thread when googling for Hertfordshire Fish names.
    After reading through the posts, I was also excited to find some names which I have in my tree also.
    My grandmother Elsie Fish was the last in that direct line of Fish.
    I have been having a wonderful (but exhausting) time scanning the Essex parish records and sighting the entries for many of my ancestors, but knowing that many went to, or came from Hertfordshire (from information from other Fish researchers), I can't find anything online to help me. Living in Australia is of little help going to libraries or the archives, and the LDS records have been exhausted.
    Some information about my closer Fish relatives, in the hope someone here can tie them in with their records...
    My grandmother Elsie Fish (1912 - 1992), married George Taylor (1911 - 1974) in Islington.
    Her father was Albert Fish (1882 - 1913), and mother Eliza Smith (1880 - 1929).
    They also had another daughter Beatrice, who died in infancy (1910 - 1911).
    Albert's parents were William Fish (1846 - C1890) and Mary Godfrey (Cambridgeshire 1842 - ?)
    All of these ancestors lived in the Enfield/Bethnal Green/Hackney area.
    Is there any parish records available to look through online, similar to the Essex original images?
    Many thanks in advance, Wendy.

Clive Blackaby

Default Fishing again

Hi Wendy,
    "HALS" have quite a lot of the Hertfordshire parish records indexed on line, though the original images have to be paid for.

www.
    hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS/indexes/

Not wanting to teach a fish to suck eggs, I assume you've TRAWLED all the BMDs and Censuses

WendyS

Thankyou Clive..and yes I have followed all of the 'usual' paths.
    I did a search on HALS, entering various Fish names, and just the surname, and apart from 1 or 2 unkown names, mostly references to Fish named streets or fishing licenses came up. The majority of names were Fisher or similar.

FPM, yes we have the same members!
    Their parents were John Fish born in Thorley Herts. around 1806 and Ann Shipp born 23 April 1806 in Little Hadham Herts.
    John was baptised in Thorley 23 March 1800. He and Ann were married Little Hadham 17/11/1821
    Johns parents were possibly Richard Fish & wife Mary.
    You are correct. His father was Richard Fish 4th June 1767, and mother Mary Haggar C1768. Both from Thorley.
    I have not yet found any Fish relatives outside Herts.
    All of my Fish ancestors are from Hertfordshire, until we get down to William Fish (1846) born in Enfield, Middlesex. This is where my closer ancestors seem to have stayed. He married Mary Godfrey from Cambridgeshire.
    William is the Great Great Grandson of Richard (1737) and Lydia.

Did you know one of the Fish boys (William) was sent to Australia as a convict? He was the nephew of Richard and Mary Fish.

Now, here's a teaser for you all. Does anyone here have a Margaret Fish, born 1660?
    I was surprised that no one seems to have found/considered her in their search for the elusive John (our 'patriarch'), and she may be a key link.

Cheers, Wendy

WendyS

Default Re Margaret Fish

I am presuming you are stumped on Margaret as I am, but I scoured the Stansted Mountfitchet parish images again last night, and have come to the conclusion that Margaret's parents - John and ?, were living in the parish at the time. There is no record of their marriage. There is no record of any Fish burials, marriages or baptisms apart from Margarets. Therefore, they must have been married at a different parish, and moved on.
    There are a few marriages for a Margaret Fish in the London area.

There was one interesting entry that may be worth looking into.
    A marriage of Samuel Fish(e)(sr) and Mary Pledg(ae)r, 25/3/1654.
    As we know, The elusive John Fish maried Ellen Bowtell, who was the daughter of Elizabeth Pledgar.
    Could this be Ellen's Aunt?

Any thoughts?

What is most frustrating for me is that I don't know the surrounding parishes to work my way around, the boundaries of Essex, Hert, Middlesex etc, and the limit on what records are available to look at for free.

Jan1954

What is most frustrating for me is that I don't know the surrounding parishes to work my way around, the boundaries of Essex, Hert, Middlesex etc, and the limit on what records are available to look at for free.
    You may find the Hertfordshire page of GENUKI to be a good starting point.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I don't know the surrounding parishes to work my way around, the boundaries of Essex, Hert, Middlesex etc
    English Jurisdictions 1851 lists contiguous parishes, and options for identifying various administrative boundaries.

Enter your parish of interest, and Search
    Wait for the page to load (slow!) ...
    Select the Options tab on the map
    Select List Contiguous Parishes

Although it's geared to 1851, it does at least give you an idea of where else to look.

WendyS

Fantastic! Thankyou very much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast