Thread: Brennan family

imbrennan

Default Brennan family

I am researching my husband's family tree and am trying to find a family with Peter Brennan as the father and a child called Michael Brennan who was born around 1871. As Michael was born in Ireland I have no idea of the mother's name. Family talk said they came from Kilkenny.

Peter and son Michael were coal miners and the family also lived and worked in Scotland (possibly Lanarkshire - Motherwell area). I realise Brennan is quite a common name but any help would be much appreciated.

Michael Brennan, my husband's grandfather, married Sarah Ann McKenna and died in County Durham.

stephens

Hi
    i have a micheal brennan b 1829 ireland married julia doolan no idea where in ireland and trying to trace this. talk of kilkenny and cork? possibly Julias father was a farmer. Julia came to england and married micheal here they had a number of children.
    any help?

Roses

Hi

I have a brother inlaw whoose family came from Kilkenny, his name is Michael Brennan and he now lives in Carrigaline, Cork. I will e-mail him and ask if he has any links to your family.

Incidently my husband Bill Kinchella's great uncle was a major of Kilkenny, not sure of the year.

Good luck

Roses

Roses

I have just had an e-mail from my brother in law Mick Brennan and unfortunately his family are different Brennans.

Keep trying, good luck.

Roses

stephens

Default julia doolan/ married a james bird then a micheal brennan

thanks for the help? i havent been on for a while.
    Where might the doolan name be most popular in ireland? i would like to find where my gran originated from
    thanks
    julie

MarkJ

Her marriage certificate - or perhaps censuses - may give you an indication where she was from in Ireland Julie. I have mentioned a possible marriage for Julia Doolan and Michael Brennan in another thread which may well be the correct people and if so, I would get the certificate.
    My mothers gran was from "Ireland" - and it was the family tale that she was from Cork, but in fact she came from Galway according to her marriage certificate and other information (censuses and the discovery of her father in Rochdale who was from Galway too).

Mark

stephens

hi
    thanks again
    i will trace the marriage certificates. I am stuck on two people on my tree and its frustrating
    julie

mutt1

Default Brennan

Quote Originally Posted by stephens View Post
    Hi
    i have a micheal brennan b 1829 ireland married julia doolan no idea where in ireland and trying to trace this. talk of kilkenny and cork? possibly Julias father was a farmer. Julia came to england and married micheal here they had a number of children.
    any help?
    Hi could you tell me if you have a William John Brennan born 16th June 1907 in your tree, siblings of Mary (molly) Frederick (Tim) James Anthony (Tony), I know Tim lived in KillKenny, I also know parents were Patrick and Charlotte.
    Kind regards Nicky

imbrennan

Default Michael Brennan

Hope this doesn't get repeated twice. I just typed a whole load of stuff on Michael Brennan's family to be told I had been logged out!

Anyway, have just discovered Michael didn't come from Kilkenny. I think I have found the family through various census in England and Scotland.

It seems he was born in Felling, Co. Durham. If I have the right family (which I think I have) his father Peter states he is from Queens County, Ireland, which I think is called Laoix. His wife was called Mary, also born in Ireland. Michael, his father Peter and Michael's brother Peter were all coal miners - brother Peter being a pony driver.

In the 1881 census in Dykehead Double Row, Hamilton, Lanarkshire the family members are:

Peter Brannen 6?? Born Queens County
    (probably 68 if Mary was supposedly 46, though in 1871 she was only 33)!

Mary Brannen 46 Born Ireland
    Peter Brannen 23 Born Ireland
    Catherine Brannen 21 Born Ireland
    Anastasia Brannen 19 Born Ireland
    Mary Brannen 18 Born Ireland
    Owen Brannen 16 Born Ireland
    Michael Brannen 10 Born Felling, Co. Durham
    James Brannen 8 Born in England
    Margaret Brannen 6 Born in Lanarkshire
    Patrick Brannen 3 Born in Lanarkshire
    Andrew Brannen 2 Born in Lanarkshire

There was also an Elizabeth (sometimes called Lizzie in the census) who was 22 in the 1891 census but she wasn't on the 1881 census. She was born in North Shields, Northumberland.

If anyone thinks that they might be related to this family please reply.