NicoUK

Default Callaghan and McKnight in Ireland help needed please

* CALLAGHAN, William, Irish Lightkeeper, 1800’s

William was certainly a Lightkeeper at Slyne Head, Bloody Foreland and Poolbeg and a known child was Bridget Agnes CALLAGHAN. It's believed that he married 3 times and possible wives names were Susan BRADY and Agnes BARBOR. He was, I believe, related to:

Frank CALLAGHAN, Saddler, Harness Maker, 11 Dame Street, Dublin (possibly Frank O'CALLEGHAN Birth abt 1848 South, Dublin, Dublin, Ireland Spouse Catherine DALY Marriage abt 1873 South, Dublin, Dublin, Ireland)

T. J. CALLAGHAN & Co. Ltd., Saddlers, Tailors, Outfitters, 13, 14, 15, 16 Dame Street, Dublin. (possibly Thomas Joseph Calligan Birth 11 Jan 1874 Dublin, Ireland Father: Frederick CALLIGAN Mother: Elizabeth MOLONEY)

Other children are thought to be Caroline, Robert, William and Mary Jane O'CALLAGHAN

I have a possible marriage for William to Mary MULLANEY in 1830, Stokestown, Roscommon, Ireland and the birth of a daughter Bridget O’CALLAGHAN but I think it’s too early. I have no idea where William was born or when.

* McKNIGHT, David, House Painter, late 1800’s to bef 1911

David McKNIGHT married Bridget CALLAGHAN. I was told she ‘ran away’ to marry him because their religions were different and she was possibly disowned by her family. They were living in Dublin in 1879 at 19 Chatham Street and David was a House Painter.

Children of this marriage that are ‘missing’ include Elizabeth (Lizzie) McKNIGHT, James McKNIGHT, William McKNIGHT, David McKNIGHT and Theresa McKNIGHT and one or more of them may have emigrated. Children whose history is partially known are Robert Brady, May Jane, Caroline, Katharine and George (emigrated to USA 1913, m KIRKLEY).

Their father David died before 1911 and Bridget in June 1922. She was buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery on 13th Jun 1922.

Any help to identify these families would be *greatly* appreciated as I just don’t know how to find them.

degrae62

Default O'Callaghans Ireland

Hello there,
    just joined the site and found you have an interest in Callaghan, possibly O'Callaghan.
    William Callaghan was my GGGrandfther which I only found out yesterday on another site, Tribal Pages.
    A lady responded to my query, she had a lot of information about the Mcknights and Callaghans/O'Callaghans, perhaps you can look her up.
    Regards,
    degrae62

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Winifred Callaghan, Famine Orphan sent to Aus

Greetings NicoUK

I'm trying to connect Winifred O'Callaghan (later Callaghan), an Irish Famine Orphan sent to Australia on the Earl Grey scheme in mid 1850, with her origins. She was from somewhere around Dublin, Workhouse not specified, born probably 1836. Parents William and Mary, deceased, says the ship (MARIA) records. - Migs, New Zealand

NicoUK

Hi Migseder,

There is this record from churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie that seems possible:

Dublin (RC) Parish/Church/Congregation - St. James
    Baptism of Winefred Calaghan of N/R on 11 October 1834
    Father WILLIAM CALAGHAN Mother MARY BYRNE Sponsor 1 MARY BYRNE
    Book Number/Page/Entry Number/Record_Identifier
    2/67/1035/DU-RC-BA-332024
    (No image of the church register available as yet)

There is also a burial record for a William Callaghan but it's Church of Ireland:

Dublin (COI) Parish/Church/Congregation - St. Mark
    Burial of WILLIAM CALLAGHAN of SIR PAT DUNNES HOSPITAL on 2 March 1835 Age 21
    Book Number/Page/Entry Number/Record_Identifier/Image Filename
    N/R/207/N/R/DU-CI-BU-156350/d-30-4-2-207
    (search was for between 1830 and 1860)

I can't see a burial record for a Mary Callaghan unless she was considerably older than William:

Dublin (RC) Parish/Church/Congregation - St. Nicholas
    Burial of MARY O CALLAGHAN of 125 FRANCIS ST on 28 April 1837 Age 42
    N/R/N/R/N/R/DU-RC-BU-884/st.nicholas_mf_1783-1828_bu_0330
    (search was for between 1830 and 1860)

No likely marriage found but if Mary was indeed older she could have been a widow?

Good luck in your search,

NicoUK

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

NicoUK - thank you, this is brilliant. I've been chasing this woman - "Poor Widowed Winifred" in our family - since the early days of the Internet. What happened to her, the Aunts demanded. Well, she married a toyboy, is what happened to her, and moved back to Australia. But what happened earlier? Is there a way of finding what siblings she had, which might give repeating family names and provide a clue that this is our one? I just looked at the site, but it's not clear to me how I narrow this down. - Migs

NicoUK

There are these

DUBLIN (RC) Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. CATHERINE
    Baptism of MARIA CALLAGHAN of N/R on 2 April 1830
    Father WM CALLAGHAN Mother MARY BYRNE
    Sponsor 1 ROBT FARRELL Sponsor 2 MARY ARCHBOLD Priest REVD MR DUNGAN
    N/R/102/N/R/DU-RC-BA-488907/st.catherine_baptisms_mf_1811-1880_ba_0184
    You can view the church register page containing this record

DUBLIN (RC) Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. CATHERINE
    Baptism of JANE CALLAGHAN of N/R on 2 April 1830
    Father WM CALLAGHAN Mother MARY BYRNE
    Sponsor 1 JAMES BYRNE Sponsor 2 JANE SHAW Priest REVD MR DUNGAN
    N/R/102/N/R/DU-RC-BA-488908/st.catherine_baptisms_mf_1811-1880_ba_0184
    You can view the church register page containing this record
    (It looks like this Jane died)

DUBLIN (RC) Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. JAMES
    Baptism of JANE CALLAGHAN of N/R on 25 September 1836
    Father WILLIAM CALLAGHAN Mother MARY BRYNE
    Sponsor 1 MARTIN DOWD Sponsor 2 BRIDGET DOWD
    2/115/1868/DU-RC-BA-332817
    The church register page containing this record has not yet been imaged

I searched for William Callaghan/O'Callaghan and additional name Mary, with dates from 1820 to 1860, then narrowed by Baptism, looking for likely dates around 1834 (it's worth searching for alternative spellings too)

NicoUK

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow! I've sorted out the Advanced Search buttons, and shall potter in here happily. Thank you again.