Thread: McMILLAN 1816+

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Default McMILLAN 1816+

Looking everywhere for my lost Ewan / Evander McMILLAN.

I first find him as a foxhunter in Sutherland in 1810 on the Durness Militia list. Then, lucky for me, but unlucky for Anne SUTHERLAND, he has a child, Mary, out of wedlock in 1811. In 1815 he married Flory MCKAY, and the following year they have a son John - who eventually ends up in Australia by 1842. By this time Ewan or Evander (both names recorded by parish priest) was a foxhunter and shepherd. But, from 1816, there is no further trace in Sutherland.

In 1867, on John's death certificate his parents are correctly named, but his birthplace is given as Kithness - which I'm thinking might be meaning Caithness. Ewan is now recorded as a gamekeeper - and this same occupation was also given on John's half-sister Mary's death certifcate some decades later. Mary had remained unmarried and died a pauper in Durin, Sutherland, 1893.

So, if you know of any McMILLAN who is a shepherd. But, from 1816, there is no further trace in Sutherland.

ChristineR
    Vic Australia
    PS - not editing this again - so sorry if repeating text.
    Last edited by Guest; 28-10-2007 at 3:38 PM. Reason: repeating text

Stephen M. Kohler

Christine,
    Do you have any more information on Flory MCKAY?

/R

Stephen
    Washington, DC

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

HI Stephen,

I believe my Flory McKay was the daughter of John McKay and Mary Campbell, baptised 15 Feb 1790, Durness, Sutherland. At the time of her marriage her father was reported as John McKay miller Durin. On the same page was the marriage of a Margaret McKay who also had a father John McKay miller Durin, except this one had the alias added - eleven children were baptised to John and Mary from 1788. By the eleventh child, this John was a miller in Durin.

Flora chr. Feb. 15, 1790, daur. of John MacKAY or Mac Dholicustian,
    Boveman in Batnenciell [?] and Mary CAMPBELL

Margaret chr. Sep 21, 1795, daur. to John MacKAY or Mac Dholicustian, a little Tenent in Sartigrim, and Mary CAMPBELL.

Christine
    Australia