Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Vines family of Leicestershire

I am trying to track my g-grandfather Henry Vines' birth and parentage info. He was born around 1832 and according to 2 census entries the birthplace was Leicester. His father was Charles Vines but I have no name for his mother. I have information on Henry starting from the 1851 census when he was 19 until his death but he is my brickwall . IGI has a baptism entry for Henry Vine dated 1833 at St George's Leicester but as the surname is wrong I am still looking.

All help gratefully received.

Regards

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by tony vines
    I am trying to track my g-grandfather Henry Vines' birth and parentage info. He was born around 1832 and according to 2 census entries the birthplace was Leicester.......IGI has a baptism entry for Henry Vine dated 1833 at St George's Leicester but as the surname is wrong I am still looking.
    Hello Tony
    I wouldn't say that the name VINE is wrong. Spelling of surnames has varied greatly over the centuries, it only really became fixed around the turn of the 19/20th centuries. It is quite common (even with literate families) to find simple changes such as either adding/removing an 's' - I have found many cases of the parish priest spelling the name two different ways in the same entry! The IGI entry is worth following up - besides the IGI is just a transcript and who's to say that the transcriber got it right?

The parish registers from 1813 onwards don't give an enormous amount of detail, but do include occupation of father - this may help in identifying the family group in the 1841 census.

Your Henry may have left home by 1851 - but - if the 1841 census shows his parents with an infant at home, the same child may be shown 10 years older with the parents in 1851 and so provide corroboration that you are on the right track.

Also, just occasionally you'll find a parish register where the Vicar/Curate added in small amounts of extra detail, such as the mother's maiden name or a date of birth; or even a fairly full address in the abode column. You might be lucky with these in Leicester?

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Default Vines

Thanks Geoffers. Your usual dose of wisdom and humour!

I have actually checked the fiche and the IGI transcriber didn't get it right. The surname was definitely Vine but the mother's name was completely wrong.

I have Henry on the 1851 census living as a lodger away from his family which didn't help much so I'll definitely have to track north again to look at the parish registers

All the best

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Geoffers

I have actually checked the fiche and the IGI transcriber didn't get it right. The surname was definitely Vine but the mother's name was completely wrong.
    Don't give up on it just yet if it is only the mother's first name that doesn't fit. I have two records from the 19th century, in the first the husband's wife is called Ann, in the second she is Elizabeth - I put two and two together and thought that Ann had popped her clogs and he'd remarried. No, he only married once, to Elizabeth Ann and I learned a lesson to check everything thoroughly.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

helenander

Default vine

I am trying to track my g-grandfather Henry Vines' birth and parentage info. He was born around 1832 and according to 2 census entries the birthplace was Leicester. His father was Charles Vines but I have no name for his mother. I have information on Henry starting from the 1851 census when he was 19 until his death but he is my brickwall . IGI has a baptism entry for Henry Vine dated 1833 at St George's Leicester but as the surname is wrong I am still looking.

All help gratefully received.

Regards

Tony

I have vines in my leicestershire history... Harriet Vine (1852) who married Robert Foss, her father was John Vine who married May. Apart from Harriet they had 4 other children; Mary 1838, Maria 1840, Matthew 1845, John 1847 and Sarah 1850.

Wonder if there is a connection to Henry somewhere?

John was born at Wilmorton(walemorton) on census, all the others at alwalton, Huntingdonshire that no longer exists, bar Mary who was born in Peterborough.Harriet was married in leicester.

Hello Helenander and thanks for responding to this very old posting. Thankfully I broke that particular brick wall about 18 months ago and I now have much more Vines information.

I haven't come across your Vine family. It is certainly possible , given the level of illiteracy in the 19th century and further back, for the family name to be recorded as Vines or Vine. However I've found only Vines in my line back to the late 18th century i.e. no Vine(s). The earliest I've found were all agricultural workers, so they probably were illiterate but the line is in Northants rather than Leicestershire before Henry i.e. his father and grandfather. They moved to Leicestershire in the mid 1800s.

regards

janbooth

Default Henry VINES

How about this one in the 1841 census of Uppingham, Rutland:

HO107/896/10, folio 43, page 21
    North Street

Charles VINES 30 Sawyer Born in county yes
    Elizabeth do 35 yes
    Henry do 9 no
    Mary do 3 no
    Joseph do 1 no

Any good???

Janet

Hi Janet

Thank you for your interest. Yes, that is the family. The 1841 census is the only one showing a Mary Vines who died before 1851. It is also almost certainly incorrect because Charles was born in Northants and Elizabeth in Leicestershire so neither should have been recorded as born in county i.e. Rutland. You probably looked at the image as I did when it first became available and it definitely says "yes" in both cases so it is not a bad transcription. Either that or all the later references to their places of birth were incorrect - but I think not.

Anyway it was this record that finally pinned down Henry Vines family for me and allowed me to go back to his grandfather where I am now stuck.

regards

helenander

Hello Helenander and thanks for responding to this very old posting. Thankfully I broke that particular brick wall about 18 months ago and I now have much more Vines information....
    regards
    Glad you got through the brick wall, I've only just started this addictive geneology stuff... but found I had that many bits of papers that it was worth organising in a blog.

A great tool.

Hi again Helenander

I've never got involved in blogs up 'til now , it's a generational thing I think (listen out for howls of disagreement from the over 90s!). I'm familiar with the principle but not the practice and not sure how one does it. As I understand it a blog is a public thing, otherwise there's no point in it. Is yours all set up and if so what is its address?

regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast