suedent

Default Mary WILTON nee DONEY (c.1849-?)

Careless I know, but I've lost my gg-gran.

Mary was the daughter of Joshua DONEY and Jane CHAMPION, she was born about 1849 in Dranes, St Neot and baptised 26 Aug 1855 at St Cleer.

She married Thomas WILTON 1 Jul 1873 in the Register Office in Liskeard.

She appears in the 1881 and 1891 census with her husband Thomas and their children in St Neot.

Thomas, and daughter Lottie died of Diptheria in May and June 1896 and are buried at Trenant Chapel Cemetery (as are Mary's parents). In both cases the eldest son Joshua WILTON was the informant on the death certificates.

Mary is missing in 1901 (not even a first name search has proved fruitful) and I have checked the deaths and marriages 1891-1901 in Cornwall and Devon but there are no entries that fit.

If anyone should stumble across her I would be very grateful.

Sue

Elley

Default 1901 Census

Hi Sue,

Is this the correct person?

RG13/2192/130/16
    St Neot
    Draynes

Mary Wilson 56 Wid St Neot
    Sidney 25 Horseman Farm St Neot
    Eli 19 Blacksmith St Neot
    Charles 17 Clay Worker St Neot
    Frederick Albert 15 Worker on Farm St Neot

Elley

JSmith2936

Hi Sue,
    This is not a very common name you are looking for. I went to school in Salcombe, S. Devon with a Molly Doney in 1942--could be some side line.
    Jo on Vancouver Island.

suedent

Quote Originally Posted by Elley View Post
    Hi Sue,

Is this the correct person?

RG13/2192/130/16
    St Neot
    Draynes

Mary Wilson 56 Wid St Neot
    Sidney 25 Horseman Farm St Neot
    Eli 19 Blacksmith St Neot
    Charles 17 Clay Worker St Neot
    Frederick Albert 15 Worker on Farm St Neot

Elley
    I'm afraid not Elley. It's a relation, (all the Wiltons in St Neot are relations) but not gg-gran.

By 1901 my great-grandfather and his siblings are all working on farms. Joshua, the eldest is in Dobwalls. Moses has emigrated to Canada and Fred, Reginald and my great-grandfather Thomas are on adjoining farms in St Cleer.
    It's at times like this that I wish the Family Bible hadn't been lost!

Sue

suedent

Quote Originally Posted by JSmith2936 View Post
    Hi Sue,
    This is not a very common name you are looking for. I went to school in Salcombe, S. Devon with a Molly Doney in 1942--could be some side line.
    Jo on Vancouver Island.
    Hi Jo,
    there were quite a few Doneys in Cornwall and as many were miners they got about a bit. Some of Mary's uncles moved to the NE of England and settled not that far from where I live now.
    Sue

suedent

Just a little nudge as I still haven't managed to track Mary Wilton (nee Doney) down.

suedent

An update - I've finally found Mary :-)

Familysearch now has the burials for Liskeard, both the general cemetery & St Martins Church. Whilst looking for other relatives I came across a Mary Wilton buried in 1936 living in Parkview, Liskeard. I knew that my g-grandfather had lived there at one point so I took a chance & ordered the certificate. Sure enough she was the widow of Thomas Wilton & the informant was her daughter in law Irene Wilton (g-grandad's second wife).

I went back & had another look in the 1901 & 1911 censuses. It took a while but when I left off birthplace I found her in the County Asylum in both 1901 & 1911. I've sold one mystery & come across another one. When did she enter the asylum, why was she there & when did she leave to go & live with her son?