Wilkes_ml

Default Hi, I'm new on here - just wanted to say hello!

Hi,

I couldn't find an introductions section, so if is in the wrong place, then please move.

Though I'm new to this forum, I'm not new to family history - I started about 15 years ago and have made a lot of progress. I still have a few annoying elusive ancestors, which are driving me mad! I don't get much time to travel to record offices at the moment as I have 2 young children, both with disabilities. So my main aim now is to try to write up as much as I can into interesting family histories, instead of just lists of names and dates! I've read some very interesting threads whilst waiting to be given access to post! I look forward to communicating with you - and I must say it is the most user friendly family history forum I've come across so far!

Michelle

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml
    I look forward to communicating with you - and I must say it is the most user friendly family history forum I've come across so far!
    I have to agree, these forums are much better than the lists used by so many - the advantage here is that most of us are quite nosy (well I am) and end up looking at threads for counties where we may not normally have an interest. The experience and expertise of many helpful subscribers has made these forums feel like a community.

Good luck

Geoffers

Wilkes_ml

Default Re:

Thanks.

My first project is to write about Runaway Wives! Usually it is thought that the husbands desert or have second families, but I have several examples of women who appear to leave their husbands and set up home with a new "husband". Some had good reason, but it does make it harder to find them!!!

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml
    Thanks.

My first project is to write about Runaway Wives! Usually it is thought that the husbands desert or have second families, but I have several examples of women who appear to leave their husbands and set up home with a new "husband". Some had good reason, but it does make it harder to find them!!!
    Oooh! I have one of those! Well - not literally (I keep attempting to lose her, but she keeps coming back ), but one of my ancestors did come home from work to discover his common law wife had departed with the child. But he was a bit of a rogue anyway - previously convicted of bigamy years before ...

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Mark

Wilkes_ml

Default Re:

My most interesting example only came to light through sheer luck. An Australian "cousin" contacted me as his ancestor has given her father's surname on a certificate. The surname is very uncommon and I'm trying to attempt a one name study. What was strange was that her marriage date in England in 1854 to her supposed "husband" was correct - but she had left that correct husband behind in England!! Her second "husband" died and she went on to another "husband". Not surprisingly, my cousin could not find a marriage! Her real husband didn't die until shortly after the death of her third partner. I confirmed that she was the same woman, as it was her nephew (who I knew had emigrated to Australia in 1871) who registered the death of her second "husband"! Her nephew was only a nipper at the time of her real marriage, so he may have been totally unaware! I do think it was a bit extreme to move around the world to get away from a husband she didn't want to be with!!!!

As far as I know, she was the first of the family to go to Australia, but I haven't found out if she went alone.

Michelle

AnnB

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    I have to agree, these forums are much better than the lists used by so many - the advantage here is that most of us are quite nosy (well I am) and end up looking at threads for counties where we may not normally have an interest. The experience and expertise of many helpful subscribers has made these forums feel like a community.

I have to agree with Geoffers - I think being nosy is an essential trait for a family historian

So, welcome Michelle, and good hunting

Best wishes
    Ann