Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bettyespana

Cool Names of Cotton Mills & Workers

Brindle & Withnell are in the Leyland/Preston area which are nowhere near Oldham so I think you may be looking in the wrong area.
    I had relatives who were millworkers in the same area & for some reason they suddenly started to appear in Hyde,Cheshire & then the Salford area where the families settled.

Hope this helps.

Regards

bettyespana

Quote Originally Posted by jeanr7 View Post
    I am trying to trace my great grandfather Henry Parker's family.
    I have his birth cert which says he was born in Withnell in 1852 to Alice Parker single woman living in Brindle.
    However on his marriage cert which I also have it states his father is Robert Parker, occupation mill manager. This was in 1893.
    I am thinking he was raised by his grandparents or an uncle.
    I have tried National Archives and historical websites to see if I could find a list or register of cotton mills in Lancashire most likely Oldham and hopefully from that maybe trace the names of mill managers.
    The name I am searching for is Robert Parker and he would have been old enough to at least look like the father of a 44 year old, if he was his grandfather he could possibly have been 80 years old.
    Any suggestions as to what sites I could look up to solve this mystery would be so welcome.

bettyespana

Default Coton mill Workers

Brindle & Withnell are in the Chorley Preston area.This is wher you need to look.

For some reason my family moved from that area in the 1800s to Hyde in Cheshire & ended up in the Salford area where the family settled.They were all workers in the cotton mills

regards

bettyespana

jeanr7

Default To Diane and Betty

Thank you so much for all that info, it is a great help.
    Someone has looked at the church records in Brindle and sent me the details of any parkers on it and that has helped a lot too.
    Bettyespana, I see you are in spain?
    I live on the costa blanca too, that is why it is so difficult for me to go check out churches and cemeteries in the UK.
    If you are in spain, then, hola y encantada.
    Jean.
    Last edited by jeanr7; 10-09-2007 at 12:23 PM.

safetyman

Default The Parkers

I used to work with a Parker who lived at Brindle and who had been director of a company who owned aweaving shed in Withnell. I wonder whether he is of the family which Jean is tracing?
    Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12