janbennett

Post Whelan Family - Ireland to Shropshire

Trying to trace information re John Whelan born Ireland married Mary nee Conroy [also from Ireland] July 1852 in Shropshire. 1861 John and Mary were living in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. Children of John and Mary - Mary, Bridget, James, Catherine, John, Timothy, Thomas and Margaret.
    Believe John may have had brother James married to Bridget as James and Bridget shown living next door to John in 1861 Census, Unbelievably I'm having serious problems even trying to locate the children GRO brith entries as there are so many variations of the surname spelling ranging from Whayland to Walleg.
    Any assistance would be more than appreciated.
    Jan

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by janbennett
    Unbelievably I'm having serious problems even trying to locate the children GRO brith entries
    Not unbelievable at all. First generation Irish weren't very good at registering births particularly before 1875.

At least you have a marriage. Church? RC? You may be better off tracking down the baptism register and looking for the children there.

janbennett

Default Whelan Family - Ireland to Shropshire

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    Not unbelievable at all. First generation Irish weren't very good at registering births particularly before 1875.

At least you have a marriage. Church? RC? You may be better off tracking down the baptism register and looking for the children there.
    Thanks for that - ordered marriage certificate today so hopefully will give me somewhere else to go. Original post was also because I was hoping to link up with someone else from same family.
    Jan