Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    busyglen

Default Coastguard ship `Curlew'

I recently found `by accident' a memorial stone in Queenborough Churchyard, that appears to relate to the deaths of four people, on the ship Curlew.

Being interested in Coastguards, I jotted down as much information as I could read, as it is split in two and a lot is eroded. The bits I can read say:

"Sacred to the memories of the crew of HMC Curlew, which vessel was run....
    and ...steamer?......mouse light. These bodies are interred April 185?
    Wm. Shepherd - Commander
    Ed. White - Mariner
    Wm. Redding
    Jn. Mathews - 2nd C. Boy

? is erected by HM Coastguards and ? friends, as a....."

I want to put these names on my web site as they relate to the Island, but I would like to find out a bit more on this. I did a search for HMC Curlew, and came up with HM Canada, Navy, CGS Curlew. I suppose it `could' have been a Canadian ship, although what a Coastguard ship from Canada was doing here I don't know. Does anyone have an idea? I could go to the library and search 9 years to see if anything is shown in the local paper, but that's a lot of newspapers! I also looked for CG ships by name, but so far found nothing.
    If anyone has an idea where else to look, I would be grateful.

Glenys

Reputation beyond repute

You're in Kent so I know you have access to The Times

Try "The Times, Monday, May 11, 1857; pg. 12; Issue 22677; col D "

It's a report of the inquiry into the accident.

Mythology

I could go to the library and search 9 years to see if anything is shown in the local paper
    I recommend working backwards rather than forwards.

'The Times', 24 April 1857, page 7 ...
    The Scout, Coastguard cutter, Mr. Leaman, Commander, arrived at Sheerness at 10 a.m. yesterday, having on board Michael Hawkings, ordinary mariner, being the only survivor of the crew of the Curlew, Coastguard cutter, Mr. William Shepherd, late second mate in command.
    I'll save my fingers and let you read the rest yourself, but basically it was clobbered by an Antwerp based steamer called the Baron Osy.

Mythology

Beaten to it again - I shouldn't have spent ten minutes typing, should I?

Reputation beyond repute

For those who want to know the ending...the captain of the Curlew got the blame for failing to show a light (the accident was at 1am).

busyglen

Thank you so much Peter & Myth!

I didn't think about The Times for some reason....as it was local my mind was geared to local news! I knew that someone would put me straight, which is why I asked. I shall definately now look up the report, and with the pieces you have mentioned, it make sense of some of the bits missing from the headstone.

Thanks again boys, I really appreciate your help.

Glenys

busyglen

I now have the full story and outcome, thank you! Rather sad, especially as it needn't have happened if the Master had shown a light.

I'm now engaged in trying to find where the Mouse bank was, which is where the light vessel was situated. I've never heard of it and hubby has been looking at some old local history books to see if he can find it. I imagine it's something like the Goodwin Sands bank, which had a light vessel. I know there is a sort of bank close to Queenborough near the entrance to the River Thames, but I have never heard the name Mouse around here. I will also go to the library if I have time this week, to look at the local newspaper, to see if there is any more information. I'm really interested in this.....typical, just before I go on a weeks holiday!

Thanks again for the rapid response boys, I can always depend on you.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 02-07-2007 at 5:24 PM. Reason: Spelling!

AnnB

Hello Glenys

I've found the Mouse on a map of Essex by Robert Morden (circa 1695). The map shows part of the Thames Estuary and the Mouse appears to be beside something called the Swin. I did try to scan the map, but as it is behind glass I can't get a good image. However, I found a reference to it at https://thames.me.uk/s00010.htm It isn't far into the site, but if you search for 'mouse' it will be easier than me telling you where to find it

Best wishes
    Ann

busyglen

Hello Ann,

Thank you very much for looking for me. I've searched that site, but can't find the reference. I'm going to give it another go, but it looks like a third storm looming, so will switch the PC off. I tried searching for `mouse' but couldn't pick it up.

We've found an old map which we think is in the area, but can't make out the names.

Oh dear.....hear comes the thunder and lightning yet again!! We've had hailstones twice and our garden was a pool of water. I felt sorry for the lady living in the house at the bottom of our road, as all of the water rushes down to her garden! I've had three attempts to get to grips with this, but been thwarted by the blessed weather!
    Will have another go in an hour.

Thanks again.

Glenys

AnnB

Hello Glenys

A quick guide to where the mention is on the site - are you sitting comfortably (thunder and lightning permitting )

First heading is 'Estuary'
    -then there is a map
    -then there's a lot of red writing
    -then there's 'Shivering Sands Fort' in a blue box
    -then - in the next lot of red writing - 4th paragraph down (begins 'The channel through which the Nora passed...') is where you'll find reference to the Mouse,

Hope you find it - bit like a treasure hunt

We've had a lovely sunny afternoon, for a change, but it's a bit breezy. You can keep the hailstones and storms!!

Best wishes
    Ann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast