Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    busyglen

Thanks Ann, just popping off to have another look.

I hate to say this, but the sky is pitch black again, so looks like more thunder and lightning. Hope we don't get anymore hailstones, it's caused havoc with our garden, which was really beginning to look great.

Will let you know if I find it before the storm!

Thanks a lot for your trouble.

Glenys

busyglen

Found it!! Thanks very much.....believe it or not, I had passed over this several times before, and missed it!! Oh well, put it down to watching the weather, as I don't want my computer to get caught in these storms!

Oh no.......here we go again...it's thundering and starting to rain....that's the fourth lot today....why are they picking on us??

I will have to write out that information, as it won't let me copy and paste...of course it's copyrighted, which it should be, but I just want it for my notes, sigh.

Oops....more lightning! Bye!

Glenys

rogercarol19

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    I recently found `by accident' a memorial stone in Queenborough Churchyard, that appears to relate to the deaths of four people, on the ship Curlew.

Being interested in Coastguards, I jotted down as much information as I could read, as it is split in two and a lot is eroded. The bits I can read say:

"Sacred to the memories of the crew of HMC Curlew, which vessel was run....
    and ...steamer?......mouse light. These bodies are interred April 185?
    Wm. Shepherd - Commander
    Ed. White - Mariner
    Wm. Redding
    Jn. Mathews - 2nd C. Boy

? is erected by HM Coastguards and ? friends, as a....."

I want to put these names on my web site as they relate to the Island, but I would like to find out a bit more on this. I did a search for HMC Curlew, and came up with HM Canada, Navy, CGS Curlew. I suppose it `could' have been a Canadian ship, although what a Coastguard ship from Canada was doing here I don't know. Does anyone have an idea? I could go to the library and search 9 years to see if anything is shown in the local paper, but that's a lot of newspapers! I also looked for CG ships by name, but so far found nothing.
    If anyone has an idea where else to look, I would be grateful.

Glenys
    Today I was looking through some old local history notes I made some years ago and found the same grave stone details you had found in Queenborough churchyard as this was some time ago maybe there was more inscription that was readable. Anyway heres what I saw.
    SACRED
    To the memory of the crew of HMC Curlew
    Which vessel was run down and sunk by the steamer Baron Osey off the Mouse Light on the morning of 23rd of April 1857
    Some of whose bodies are here interred
    Mr Wm Shepherd Commander
    Ed White Mariner
    Wm Redding
    Jn Mathews 2nd C Boy (presumably cabin boy)
    This stone was erected by HM Coastguards (here part of the stone was worn away) and a few friends
    I was going to post this on another forum but thought I might Google the HMC Curlew first and your post was first in line
    I hope this helps
    Roger

Candy

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    Being interested in Coastguards.........

I want to put these names on my web site

Glenys

Hi Glenys,
    I also have an interest in Coastguards. My ancestry contains many WARREN men who were Coastguards from as far back as 1841 to the 1910s on the Isle of Wight, Co. Cork, Dorset and Sussex. Is your website about Coastguards in particular? Would love to take a look if you could let me know the address.
    Candy.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Candy View Post
    Hi Glenys,
    I also have an interest in Coastguards. My ancestry contains many WARREN men who were Coastguards from as far back as 1841 to the 1910s on the Isle of Wight, Co. Cork, Dorset and Sussex. Is your website about Coastguards in particular? Would love to take a look if you could let me know the address.
    Candy.
    Hi Candy,

Off the top of my head, I am not sure if there are any Warren men on my site, but if you would like to look yourself, Google `Coastguards on Sheppey, or you can click on the link on my profile, (forgot that it is there) !

They are mostly Coastguards that were found on Sheppey during the Censuses but a few marriages and births etc. Take a look anyway. If you find anything and would like further help, please let me know.

Glenys

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Candy View Post
    Hi Glenys,
    Candy.
    Hi again Candy,

Sorry I didn't have time to look for you the other day, hope you managed to check the site out. There are several Warrens and a christening at Minster as well. They come from a variety of places such as Hampshire, Essex, Cornwall, to name a few.

Glenys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12