Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Smile Right under my nose!

For some time I have been looking for Elizabeth Down, my GG grandfather's youngest sister to 'complete the set'. I had her up to 1861 and then she disappeared. I sent off for 3 marriages certs convinced she was still in Devon, though why, when all her siblings had moved away.

Idly browsing the IGI (as one does), I came across a marriage to a John Bates in 1872, Sparkbrook, Warwickshire, the very area that two of her brothers had moved to! Looked on the 1881, and there she was, with her husband, living in the same house as one of her cousins (who I had found long ago, the penny had just not dropped that the Elizabeth with them was the one I was looking for). Got the right cert this time!

And, now for the next mystery, why then is she on the 1871 as Bates (when she was still a Down) with her 'husband' and son Daniel b1870? I sent off for the 'obvious' ref on the GRO but it was the wrong one (different parents). I might have found him as BATE but am reluctant to splurge again so soon on a cert. Maybe next month!

get2BJ

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Newman

And, now for the next mystery, why then is she on the 1871 as Bates (when she was still a Down) with her 'husband' and son Daniel b1870? Maybe next month!
    Is it possible that the 1872 event was her second marriage to a Bates (ie, brother or cousin to the first husband)? Her maiden name may have been Down at the first marriage and Bates at the second one. I have a similar situation on my husband's tree where his grandmother married two brothers (first one died). She had one child with the first brother and five with the second and all the children naturally have the same surname.

Best wishes

Brenda

Thanks for the pointer - may be the case. When she married John, she used her maiden name of Down, but that could have been 'diplomatic'. I looked for a Daniel Down in case she wasn't married when he was born but nothing found on that score. I am just so pleased to have found her after pulling my hair out for so long!

Reputation beyond repute

Occam's razor.

The simplest and most obvious explanation is most probably the correct one.

How true - I shall make that my thought for the day!