HiFly

Default 1861 Lookup please - VALLIS

I have a marriage of couple in Oxford as reported per FreeBMD Q1 1859 Oxford 3a 658 :

>>> James Vallis and Harriet Knibbs b1833 - I've tracked a lot of the Vallis family clan in Oxford but can't find hair or hide of this pair.....

There is the one and only local candidate (to my knowledge) - a James Vallis b 1817 who married in 1841 a Susan Gray and then again in 1872 a Sarah Ann Cooper....he couldn't have slipped one in the middle by any chance?? [All the other James Vallis in Oxford/Headington area are born in mid 1700's....]

Of course it could be that another James Vallis from either Wilts or Berks...

TIA - HiFly

Copper

I could not find a James married to Harriet anywhere in 1861. I then checked for deaths on Free BMD and found this

1860 June, Vallis Harriett, Oxford 3a 377

Back to the drawing board I am afraid.

HiFly

Quote Originally Posted by Copper
    I could not find a James married to Harriet anywhere in 1861. I then checked for deaths on Free BMD and found this

1860 June, Vallis Harriett, Oxford 3a 377

Back to the drawing board I am afraid.
    That explains that one....thanks for the effort Copper.....

HiFly

knibbo2004

Did you ever figure out for sure if Harriet was the daughter of Edward Knibbs/Fanny Berry, please?
    Don

Pennie

Just wondering if you sent off for James and Harriet's marriage certificate - this would give their respective fathers' names (and occupations), and might help you to locate them on the 1841 and/or 1851 censuses.

Additionally, if you think James was baptised in Oxford then it may be worth having a search of the Oxford City Baptisms Index (1538-1831) carried out.

Pennie

PS If your problem has been "sorted" since March, then please ignore all the above!

HiFly

Quote Originally Posted by Pennie View Post
    Just wondering if you sent off for James and Harriet's marriage certificate - this would give their respective fathers' names (and occupations), and might help you to locate them on the 1841 and/or 1851 censuses.

Additionally, if you think James was baptised in Oxford then it may be worth having a search of the Oxford City Baptisms Index (1538-1831) carried out.

Pennie

PS If your problem has been "sorted" since March, then please ignore all the above!

No Pennie - this small family 'group' is still not sorted....and remains an enigma at this stage.

Is the Oxford City Baptisms Index available on-line?

Tx & Regards - HiFly

HiFly

Quote Originally Posted by knibbo2004 View Post
    Did you ever figure out for sure if Harriet was the daughter of Edward Knibbs/Fanny Berry, please?
    Don
    No sorry knibbo - I put this 'group' aside when I couldn't find anything on them (as yet).

HiFly

PS Have done a bit of cross-checking for the last hour and I reckon that the Harriet Knibbs b~1833 was d.o. George & Elizabeth Knibbs as per 1841 Census - Residence St Michael, Oxford, Oxfordshire, Source HO107/891/14 F/1 P/39

This would place your Harriett b~1840 as the one as per found on Census 1851 and d.o. Edward and Sophia Knibbs.
    Residence Hopcrofts Yard, Deddington, Oxfordshire - Source HO107/1730 Folio/5 Page/3

knibbo2004

HiFly - Edward Knibbs/Fanny Berry did have a daughter Harriet b.1833 - see their family page at https://knibbs.family.users.btopenworld.com/fam127.html. So far I haven't managed to find a marriage for her.
    The person I would normally go to with such problems is away until December, but I will try to raise it with him when he gets back.
    You have me intrigued now.

Pennie

The Oxford City Baptisms Index (covering years 1800-1837, and not as in my previous post) is not available on line.

The OFHS will do you a look up (for a very reasonable couple of pounds) - go to "Search Services" on their website.

Pennie