PropPete

Unhappy Gibbs bizarre demise

My g.grandfather, Cornelius Gibbs of Eye, Sfk, met an untimely death on Aug 20th 1912. Apparently he got rather drunk, tried to drive his horse and cart home, but the cart collided with the wall of a well in the sub-district of Mendlesham, and poor Cornelius was pitched into the well and drowned. I'd have thought such a tragic/comic event deserved a small mention in the local press. Does anyone know how I might search for such a press clipping?

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by PropPete
    My g.grandfather, Cornelius Gibbs of Eye, Sfk, met an untimely death on Aug 20th 1912. Apparently he got rather drunk, tried to drive his horse and cart home, but the cart collided with the wall of a well in the sub-district of Mendlesham, and poor Cornelius was pitched into the well and drowned. I'd have thought such a tragic/comic event deserved a small mention in the local press. Does anyone know how I might search for such a press clipping?
    Have you tried the local library? I have found events in our library up into the 1900's as the whole of the local newpapers were put onto film. It's worth a try.

Glenys

Reputation beyond repute

The British Library (Colindale) is the definitive source. Have a look at the newspaper catalogue.