Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bryan5107

Default William Gait Midsomer Norton

Hi Steve
    Thanks for your message. I don't think I can go much further.
    My great great great grandfather William Gait a person who was described as a butche,r who resided at Midsomer Norton, whose age was given as 31 years, which would give his birth year as 1785, was convicted in the Bristol Session of Peace, Oyer and Terminer Gaol Delivery on 6 April 1816 for sheep stealing and sentenced to life.
    He was subsequently transported to the colony of New South Wales, leaving on the ship "Fame" on 9 October 1816 and arriving Sydney 8 March 1817.

He subsequently married Bridget Mary Curley, who was born in Athlone and Drum Roscommon on 27 January 1796, in the protestant church Parramatta in 1818. Bridget came to Australia as a free citizen.

He died in Berrima New South Wales 13 August 1872. His tombstone in the Dapto catholic cemetery gives his age as 92, which gives a birthdate of 1780. ( I have a birthday of 24 September???)

I don't know what else I might find, except that at 31 years chances are that he was married before his conviction?

Bryan Walsh
    [email protected]

Old Bristolian

Hi Bryan

I've had a look around, but can't find any obvious clues that might identify your William. There is a family in Midsomer Norton - William and Ann Gait who have children baptised from 1791, but this is too early to be your William, although he was (along with other Gaits in Norton) a butcher. The baptisms in the register are largely missing 1773-83, so if he was baptised there, no record would now exist. There are a few other Williams around, as you have seen, but it is going to be difficult to track him down further

best wishes

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12